S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car died suddenly;IAC valve gone

Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car died suddenly;IAC valve gone

So I was driving along, and then I notice the EPS light start to flicker rapidly, so I pull over and check the engine, and I noticed that the IAC valve was gone. I have an AEM V2 intake and had it zip tied to the intake but I guess it somehow came loose and went into the belt. The whole IAC unit is gone, and there are a couple of cut vacuum hoses.

Well, after seeing this i decided to head back onto the road, but the car wouldn't start. The lights started to get dim, windows rolled up very slowly, and it basically looked liked there was no juice in the battery.

The AAA guy says the alternator isn't charging the battery. What I'm trying to figure it is if/how the IAC valve not being there is connected to a poor alternator. Maybe some other wire was cut when the IAC unit got caught in the belt?

How much would I be looking at to replace the IAC unit, and alternator?

TIA,

Sri
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be obvious, but I think it doesn't hurt to ask. Since the IAC valve got caught by the alternator belt, is there any chance that the belt flew out and the alternator is not driven by the crank any more?

Or may be the flying IAC valve causes short circuit of the power supply to the unit and overloaded the alternator?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The valve zip tied to the intake tube is not the IAC. The IAC is bolted to the side of the intake. Therre is a secondary air injection control solenoid that was bolted to the airbox, that gets attached to the intake tube with a aftermarket intake.

I'm curious hao the AAA guy came to that conclusion, without working on the car.

The belt needs to be on the alternator pulley, the wiring to the solenoid undamaged, and all the fuses good. I can't remember the fuse that blows when the solenoid wires are shorted.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Ok, you're right it's the secondary air injection control that got destroyed. To the other poster, the belts are still on.

The AAA guy came up with that I guess because the battery wasn't holding a charge. But I'm more inclined to believe it was a short or some wire was damaged.

I left the car at a Honda dealership for them to look over, I have a feeling I"m going to be hit with a huge bill. Replacing the secondary air injection conrtol and any damaged wires should be easy enough?

Are there any wires that go to the solenoid that are exposed and may have been caught in the tangle ?

Also, would you guys know off hand how much the secondary air injection control costs?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

I theorize that when the $#!t hit the fan something caused a short and blew a fuse. So replace the fuse, vacuum hoses, and the air control valve (which is about $100) and you're probably good to go.

Hopefully.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Ok...problem continues:

The Honda guy told me that they tried charging the battery but it couldn't hold a charge, and he recommended I buy a battery. Now, I bought this battery only 3 months ago so I was highly suspicious that it would fail soon. But, I ended up buying a new battery anyway. And the car started.

And ran...for about a day. Yesterday night the same problem happened, the EPS ,ABS lights, radio, windows everything basically was non functional. This afternoon I looked at the fuses in the engine bay. They are all ok. And the car started up fine.

Forward to 15 mins ago..I'm on the freeway and again the car starts acting funny and I had to limp it over to my place.

Is it defenitely the alternator that's bad? It can't be a coincedence that this happened around the same time that my secondary injection control grenaded.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2006, 05:15 PM

The "battery" light on the dash should stay on if the charging circuit is not working. Does your light stay on while driving?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Race Miata,Jan 20 2006, 07:15 PM
The "battery" light on the dash should stay on if the charging circuit is not working. Does your light stay on while driving?
Hmm...I don't think the battery light came on. The head lights did stay on, but I turned it off once the EPS and everything started acting haywire. The dash got really really dim. I just tried jumpstarting the car now, but no dice. It won't start up.

Could it be possible that the solenoid wires got shredded somehow from the secondary injection control flying into the belts? If so, where can I find these wires?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=pantyraider,Jan 20 2006, 05:31 PM]Ok...problem continues:

The Honda guy told me that they tried charging the battery but it couldn't hold a charge, and he recommended I buy a battery. Now, I bought this battery only 3 months ago so I was highly suspicious that it would fail soon. But, I ended up buying a new battery anyway. And the car started.

And ran...for about a day.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Sounds like alternator? You replaced the solenoid valve and stuff right?

Quick Reply: Car died suddenly;IAC valve gone