S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car died out in neutral on Freeway...

Old 01-10-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have prooved this theory with the use of our shops hds tester...here it goes
the ecu catches it immediately when the gas is released. when the tps is back to the closed voltage and map sensor values match it goes into idle mode. the car should not die while in neutral cruising. the injectors are shut off on the decel only. there is no need for fuel on decel, however it does need to compensate when the rpms drop near idle, so they will fire up just before idle range. there is no excuse for this problem-it should not happen. i seriously believe you should perform the idle learn procedure. the ecu is responding to the change in engine rpm but not fast enough. there could be other problems but i suggest you start with this free procedure first. i have been a honda tech for almost 7 years now and have seen too many people replace components before doing this procedure and get burnt by it. it might be why honda lists it in the shop manual as the first step in diagnnosing a low or high idle problem.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

7777, good info in your post.
This situation, I think is not unlike when people have reported the engine nearly dying (or dying) when they come to an intersection and stop. In my own case, I have discovered that after a few "episodes" of the near death experience, the car seems to "learn" and won't do it anymore for the rest of the year. It can be a very perplexing thing. There are ways that one can drive to avoid it, but as you have said, it should NOT have to happen.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the repies. To this day, the car has not "died" out anymore-- Err-- stange.

Vizal
Old 01-21-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's been about a week since your last post. How is it? I think it has "learned".
Old 02-26-2004, 07:40 PM

Just to update my story- It has ran perfect since then. But just today, the car did the same thing. I will put this on video in a day to prove to honda that the problem exist.

Vizal
Old 02-26-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your problem is specifically related to a mismatch between your Short Term Fuel Trim and Long Term Fuel Trim (i.e. OBD-II Fuel Management). Your car is fine. I'm not here much anymore with my new job but XVIPER will guide you through, he replaced me as Forum Moderator at my request. Your dealer will find nothing as there is nothing to find. Most folks don't push in the clutch at 80 and coast down......your car interpreted this as a fuel fault and provided more fuel to correct for the LTFT vs. STFT imbalance which resulted in the stall. After that your STFT was F****** the 80 to 0 drop was out of range. Your fuel syatem will correct itself after a number of cycles (a cycle being determined by going to temp and cooling). It's a bunch so relax and let it happen naturally (like 20-30). Sorry but several of the posts here are a crack up!

Utah

P.S.Two threads here are just so false they are entertaining as hell! Perhaps you kids should study up on OBD-II?
http://www.obdii.com/links.html
Old 02-26-2004, 10:18 PM

Thx for the reply, but what do you mean, "Most folks don't push in the clutch at 80 and coast down" Also It happens right when I get off work around 6PM ish when the temp here in Cali is around 58 Degree. The car would idle fine- but after driving it after a few stop light.. the car RPM would drop to 0.

To prevent the car from "dieing" I would leave my foot on the gas hovering it around 1K RPM at stop light. I got home -- grabed my digital camera, then try to duplicate the problem--- can't. !?!!??!?!? Its like the car is F'ing with me ;[

Vizal
Old 02-27-2004, 05:23 PM

I know on my way home today, I missed a downshift (at about 50MPH), wasn't sure what gear I grabbed so put it in neutral, let off the clutch and braked to a stop. The car did not die, but rather idled normally. I guess the ECU caught it in time. I find it very interesting that fuel is completely removed during decel at speed. I think this is unusual behavior for most modern cars. I had a VW TDI diesel that did this (to conserve fuel), but thought it was unique to diesels due to no throttle. I would think a gas engine risks running too lean. Does the throttle close completely? What manifold vaccuum?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by hboy7777,Jan 9 2004, 05:24 PM
you may want to have them reset the ecu and perform the idle learn procedure. since ive reset my ecu my car has stalled numerous times. im sure people that run their car without the backup fuse experience the same thig. if your cars memory has been cleared(dead battery, replaced battery,blown fuse.ect.ect) this is most likely the problem. if you would like to do it yourself here is how its done. pull the backup fuse. let sit for about 30 sec. reinstall backup fuse. with all electrical loads off and ac off also start the car and let it idle for around 10 -15 minutes. in this time period its finding the optimum idling perameters. after this time shut it off and your all done. let me kknow if this cures it. good luck
This info save me a trip to the mechanic....Thanks ALOT!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM

No worries he posted that 6 years ago...

Quick Reply: car died out in neutral on Freeway...