S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car died out in neutral on Freeway...

Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died out in neutral on Freeway...

I was driving around 10 p.m. after work-- around 46 degree F and while driving on the Freeway @ 80 MPH, I put the car in Neural to coast.. The car's RPM gauge dropped all the way down to the point where it shut off... I put my car to 5th and it sprung back to life. To test it out again, I put it back to Neutral and same result.

I pulled over into a gas station- The car died several times in Neutral ;[

I took it to honda the next morning- they cannot duplicate the problem. My car is a '00 with 40 K miles. Stock
Old 01-09-2004, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel to the injectors is cut when the car is in a coast condition and revs are below 1050 RPM. One would assume that the IAC system takes over to keep the car from stalling - my guess is that yours is misdadjusted or a component or sensor is getting confused. How does the car idle if you are stopped, in neutral, rev it to 2k or so, and then back off?

This happened so often in my Cobra that I decided to sell it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Idle fine- I jsut got the car back from the Dealer and since they cannot duplicate the problem, they cannot fix it. I have my digital camera ready and when it happens again, I'll show them the photo.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the IAC system?

Does the fuel to the injectors get cut when idling (say, at a stop light, in neutral), and the idle rpm drops below 1050rpm?

The reason I ask is that I had a CEL light problem with misfire codes 0301-0304, and thought the injectors might have been the culprit. The one printout of the misfire data was that it occured at 933rpm (which only happens when I'm in neutral or the clutch is in on my car with my driving habits). If the fuel is cut below 1050rpm with no throttle input, that would rule out the fuel injectors as being an issue in my CEL light issue.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

IAC= Idle air control motor. It's a computer controlled valve that bypasses air past the closed throttle plate for the engine to idle. Fuel is not cut to the injectors when idling. The PCM varies the air passing through the valve to get the desired idle speed. At cold start, more air is passed through the valve for a higher idle speed. The IAC also compensates for the A/C compressor, increased electrical load.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:24 PM

you may want to have them reset the ecu and perform the idle learn procedure. since ive reset my ecu my car has stalled numerous times. im sure people that run their car without the backup fuse experience the same thig. if your cars memory has been cleared(dead battery, replaced battery,blown fuse.ect.ect) this is most likely the problem. if you would like to do it yourself here is how its done. pull the backup fuse. let sit for about 30 sec. reinstall backup fuse. with all electrical loads off and ac off also start the car and let it idle for around 10 -15 minutes. in this time period its finding the optimum idling perameters. after this time shut it off and your all done. let me kknow if this cures it. good luck
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM

This happened to my wifes MY2000. The code thrown was for IAT sensor. We gave it a whack, unplugged, replugged and reset the trouble light and the car is fine. FWIW, I hate problems that can be fixed "Fonzie style" but what the heck, at least we didn't need to buy anything.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Whenever you "decelerate" (ie. have road speed with your foot OFF the gas, the ECU shuts down the injectors). Those with A/F gauges can attest to this. So, if you have road speed (ie. showing something on your speedo) and you put the tranny into neutral and take your foot off the gas, the injectors are getting no fuel and your engine has no connection to the rear wheels for inertia to keep it turning, of course the engine will die. UNLESS, your ECU is smart enough and quick enough to catch the silly thing you are doing and goes into "idle" mode.
Now, this is NOT excluding the possibility that your MAP sensor isn't up to snuff to contribute to the ECU not being quick enough. In vizal's case, having done this a couple of times may have given the ECU a minor brain fart such that when he pulled into the gas station and put it into neutral, even though the car was not moving, it still stalled. You probably confused the HELL out of it. This is a very high output motor and is controlled heavily by what the ECU sees. All the sensors on this thing are quite critical to what the ECU sees. It doesn't seem to take much to confuse it. It is a slow learner.
HINT: If you don't want the motor to stall, DON'T DO THIS!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Whenever you "decelerate" (ie.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
I don't remember doing a neutral while driving, but I'll try it out and see what it does.

I thought the ECM killed the injectors under [above 1050 rpm] and [closed throttle] conditions.

Quick Reply: car died out in neutral on Freeway...