S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is at dealership

Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i believe emissions components are required by US law to be warranted for like 50,000.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steven975,Jan 6 2006, 04:05 PM
the only extended warranty worth a damn is the Honda Certified Pre-Owned warranty.
yup. because it falls under the rules and regulations of the magnusson moss warranty act.

for those wondering, a honda certified pre-owned warranty is NOT a hondacare warranty. the certified warranty is "free" with the car, there is no service contract you sign or no money you pay to have it.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hontoyo,Jan 6 2006, 11:03 PM
They said that a vacuum pump and air pump are different. They couldn't find any part on the s2k called a vacuum pump. I'm hopeing to see things my way.
Of course they would. They're trying to duck out of paying. Like some have already said, this system is an emissions related component. Check into the details surrounding that specific factory warranty.
The secondary air injection system on this car is powered by a "pump". It "pumps" air, however, as we all know, in parts of this system, a "vacuum" is produced and we commonly refer to those hoses as "vaccum lines". So, even though that pump "pushes" air, the system is developing a "vacuum" in some parts. It is a matter of interpretation and terminology that our pump is actually called an "air pump" or a "vacuum" pump since it is an air pump that is part of a system where in some parts, there is vacuum.
They are using nit picking as a way to deny you coverage. Very few, if any, modern day cars have "vacuum" assisted components where a "pump" is used to generate it. They use "vacuum" generated from manifold vacuum.

I suppose if you had a problem with your power steering, the fact that we don't have any hydraulic fluid or a pump to pump that fluid, they could find a way to nit pick you out of coverage by saying your car doesn't have a power steering fluid pump. I doubt many of today's aftermarket extended warrantees will actually recognize an electric power steering unit.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's some more information that might help:

According to the Service Manual for our car, ther is nothing called a vacuum pump. The "air pump" is part of the Secondary Air Injection System, which is considered an emissions component because it blows air into the converter before the engine is warmed up to help burn unburnt hydrocarbons.

The service manual also describes how this pump is fed by "vacuum lines", and therefore must double as a vacuum pump (as Xviper said). The pump is fed air through the "air control valve vacuum control solenoid valve".

The service manual does't give specific information on all the functions of this system, but I'd assume that its primary function is to help emissions. It's really amazing that a warranty would be written to exclude something like this. It may be a matter of interpretation - large trucks use air pumps for brakes, horns, etc. and some VWs use air pumps to operate their door locks.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Father was telling me about how it should be covered between 8 to 10 years under federal law. My Father had something go wrong on his van in the emissions control system and the factory had to repair it free of cost. Thankyou everyone for your input, I'm going to look into this.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The emission control systems warranty is confusing and full of exceptions and inconsistencies. Even though all cars are the same there is different legal requirements for California. Parts are covered for 3/36, 3/50, 7/70, 8/80, depending on the part, where, and how the warranty is interpreted.

The air pump is only warrantied for 3/36 under the broad federal warranty, but specifically 7/70 under the California warranty (minimal California emissions is 3/50).

Almost all the intake, ignition, fuel system, exhaust system, and sensors are covered under this warranty and based upon postings here it seems alot of people are paying for stuff out of pocket at times when they should be covered.

Since all cars imported into the US are identical I would always appeal for California length coverage before paying my dollars for a repair.