S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is at dealership

Old 01-06-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is at dealership

Hey everyone,

My check engine light came on, so I had it checked at autozone and shot P0122 (faulty tps). I have an aftermarket warranty through a company called InterContinental Warranty Services, Inc. I take my car to the dealership and have them diagnose it, they said it shot a code for the air pump. They called my warranty company and they said that they don't cover this part, which sucks because I paid $1300 for the warranty and when I need it they wont cover this part. I knew the tb and tps are covered, but on their site it says the vacuum pump is covered. Are the vacuum pump and air pump the same thing? My brother had problems with the same warranty company and it seems like when something goes wrong, they try to find bs excuses not to fix the problem. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The vacuum pump and the air pump "should" be the same thing on this car.

You have now just discovered the painful way that most extended coverage warranties are a waste of money. This has been posted here time and time again. They are high profit items for the seller and a ZERO peace of mind for the buyer. They wouldn't be high profit anymore if they shelled out repairs all the time now, would they?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Very good point xviper, now it just means that I have to raise hell with them until I get my way. I would imagine it's the same part since they sound similar, I'm going to talk to them today. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hontoyo,Jan 6 2006, 09:57 AM
Very good point xviper, now it just means that I have to raise hell with them until I get my way. I would imagine it's the same part since they sound similar, I'm going to talk to them today. Thanks for your help.
alot of the warrenty coverage is dependent on the dealer. They can sway teh warrenty company one way or another.(with in reason)
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree completely with xviper. if you're lucky enough to get something repaired under an extended warranty, consider it just that. extended warranties are as useful as grounding kits.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:59 AM

the only bonus is that the extended warrenty will give you a better power gain on average than grounding wires!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the only extended warranty worth a damn is the Honda Certified Pre-Owned warranty.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A vacuum pump is an accessory on engines that don't make much or any vacuum so that they can still operate vacuum powered accessories. Mostly found on diesel engines. The air pump blows air into the exhaust which helps emmisions. They are pretty different.
I say keep working on it. The first reaction of all these companies is usually no whether they clearly should or not. They are wanting you to back down and take it.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:03 PM

They said that a vacuum pump and air pump are different. They couldn't find any part on the s2k called a vacuum pump. I'm hopeing to see things my way.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does turn out to be the air pump and that is part of emissions, isn't that part of a seperate warranty from Honda? I ask because "selected components" are warrantied by Honda 8 years or 80,000 miles if you are the original owner. Some even 15 years or 150,000 "Certain vehicles in California and other specified states". (MASS. and VT. I think) Just a thought. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Car is at dealership