S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is Acting Retarded!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kitt,Nov 21 2009, 11:46 AM

May seem way off b/c car is lowered about 2" or more. so stocks specs are out the window. plus with the offsets an widths of my wheels I have to run an agressive cambered stance.

I tried to stay as close as possible to the specs I found on a thread in here. I'll see if I can find it again. A couple of people Iknow backed up the threads posted specs.
If your car is lowered to the point where you are limited that much, then it is too low. With the fact that you have to run that aggresive of a camber to fit the wheels, it seems like you are more concerned with looks than performance. I think you need to decide what you are after. If you are after performance I would not have an alignment setting like that, just my $.02. I don't really care who else thinks those are good specs, that much rear camber and that much rear toe is a formula for an understeering pig.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should ditch the spacers you are already running low offset wheels, which should give you some more space...aferwards get an alignment

btw spacers can lead to a bad bearing, IMO spacers aren't a good compromise for what you get... i was considering some spacers a while ago for more of a flush fit but decided to wait for some better wheels.

bad bearing= hold wheel and see if theres any tilting motion, you will also hear a noise which sounds similar to a bad pad but gets worse over time.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM

To check the wheel bearing, just lift up the car till the wheel is in the air, hold the wheel and see if there is any play in it, if you don't feel that there is any play, then there is something else wrong.

I have one side bearing go wrong twice but car did not handle bad at all, the noise got worst and worst over the period of time, if you don't hear any sound on load at slow speeds from that wheel and there is no play, you are safe as far as I know.

I would check the alignment once again to make sure.
Car would handle like sh*t if you are low and don't have bumpsteer kit, but would only handle like crap if you drive on crappy roads or roads that are not even.
Hope this helps and good luck with finding and fixing the issue.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Sounds like your alignment is off.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz,Nov 21 2009, 01:19 PM
If your car is lowered to the point where you are limited that much, then it is too low. With the fact that you have to run that aggresive of a camber to fit the wheels, it seems like you are more concerned with looks than performance. I think you need to decide what you are after. If you are after performance I would not have an alignment setting like that, just my $.02. I don't really care who else thinks those are good specs, that much rear camber and that much rear toe is a formula for an understeering pig.
I get where you are coming from bud an I am not like the cali guys an try to make my car dub fresh. The Thread I found was specs from the top three S2000's in Auto-x an their drivers. thats why I said it was a repitable post. An when I got my alignment I ran only what I needed to so the tires would not catch the fenders. Also if ya remember I stated in the original post that the car Handled Great before with this Alignment.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by VolkMan,Nov 21 2009, 07:05 PM
you should ditch the spacers you are already running low offset wheels, which should give you some more space...aferwards get an alignment

btw spacers can lead to a bad bearing, IMO spacers aren't a good compromise for what you get... i was considering some spacers a while ago for more of a flush fit but decided to wait for some better wheels.

bad bearing= hold wheel and see if theres any tilting motion, you will also hear a noise which sounds similar to a bad pad but gets worse over time.
had to Run spacers it was the only way I could clear my 4 piston Calipers. I didn't want to run spacers but I had to.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by berlinas2k2,Nov 21 2009, 12:46 PM
How about hubcentric rings on your wheels.
the H&R TRAK+ Series spacers are suppose to be Hubcentric
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by S2k_MoZo,Nov 21 2009, 07:42 PM
To check the wheel bearing, just lift up the car till the wheel is in the air, hold the wheel and see if there is any play in it, if you don't feel that there is any play, then there is something else wrong.

I have one side bearing go wrong twice but car did not handle bad at all, the noise got worst and worst over the period of time, if you don't hear any sound on load at slow speeds from that wheel and there is no play, you are safe as far as I know.

I would check the alignment once again to make sure.
Car would handle like sh*t if you are low and don't have bumpsteer kit, but would only handle like crap if you drive on crappy roads or roads that are not even.
Hope this helps and good luck with finding and fixing the issue.
what would be the best kit to get?

Front Bumpsteer spacers for the steering rack
Rear Anti-bumpsteer arms
Upgraded Tie-Rod ends
or something I haven't listed?

we do have shitty roads around here.

also how come I haven't really had this problem before or needed anti-bumpsteer?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kitt,Nov 22 2009, 01:13 AM
The Thread I found was specs from the top three S2000's in Auto-x an their drivers.
I find that impossible to believe, find the thread, if it exists then you had to have read incorrectly. That setup is far from an autox alignment. Most if not all experiance autoxers are going to run nearly 0 toe in the rear (I have even seen some slight toe in setups) and less of a differential of front to rear camber (my guess is around 2.0 f/2.5r + or -). Your camber is not so bad, but that much rear toe WILL cause the car to have a strong understeer bias with unpredictable snap oversteer when it finally lets go.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:02 PM

bump

Quick Reply: Car is Acting Retarded!