S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car is Acting Retarded!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car is Acting Retarded!

I'm having some handling issues w/ my S an I'm trying to narrow it down, what the problem/s is/are.

Has anyone ever had Wheel Bearings or Tie Rods go bad on them?
If so what did it do, an feel like?
How did the car act?

I want to blame the issues on an alignment but I had one done correctlety a month or so ago.
Can't find my sheet but:
Front: Camber -2
Caster 6.0
Total Toe -0.02
Rear: Camber -3
Total Toe 0.52

Problems appeared after I got new tires put on. Before car use to grab the road like your mom use to grab you when you acted up in public. lol The tires I got are alot better than before. I went from BFG G-Force Sports to Hankook Ventus R-S2's.
Here is why I'm leading to Wheel Bearings or Tie Rods. We broke a Lug when taking the wheels off for the mount/balance an had to press the hub out inorder to replace the stud. I have heard that its custom to replace the bearings when the hubs are pressed out. We didn't, just pressed the hub back in w/ the new stud a bolted everything back up when finished. On the ride home I notice the car felt loose, had alot more bumpsteer with even little bumps an grooves in the road. The ride is also somewhat rough (bumpy), an even feels like its crab-walks in some places, otherwise unpredictable.

Or Tie Rods b/c of the Bumpsteer issues an loose or float feel due to the higher level of grip w/ the new tires? Plus chassis has 116xxx miles on it. Now grant it I have alot of upgraded suspension parts added to stiffen it up.

Suspension:
BC BR-Type Coilovers
Cusco 32mm front Sway bar
Cusco 30mm rear Sway bar
Cusco Full Lower Sub Frame
PasswordJDM Rear Lower Frame Brace
T1R Race-Spec Forged Half-shaft Spacers
H&R 10mm TRAK+ wheel spacers
H&R extended wheel studs

Wheels:
5Zigen FN01R-C Hot Version
(Polished)
F: 17x8 43et. 33et w/spacers
R: 17x9 43et.
Hankook Ventus R-S2 tires
215/45/17
245/40/17
5Zigen Pro Racer Titanium Lugs

LOL So I hope I've given enough Info for some of you Wrench Geniuses to help me narrow this down.

So some tell me WTF is wrong with my car! Lol

Thanks,
Kitt
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had to take the knuckle off the car, I'd get an alignment anyway. it may not have been put back together in exactly the same place.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:46 PM

didnt take the nuckle off. it was the passenger side rear hub. used a slide hammer to pop it out. I aligned the front after we pressed the fronts to install longer studs for the spacers to clear my new calipers
Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had bearings go on me in my wrx and felt them in a mazda. car shakes a little. did you get your wheels balanced properly? are all lug nuts tight?

if it is a bearing issue, you can check it by jacking up the car and shaking the wheels with your hands. if it moves than your bearings are shot
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles are on the new tires? Because they can be slippery until fully broken in. Up to the first 1000 miles sometimes, depending on your driving style.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your alignment specs look way off. Where did you get them? Did you sit in the car while it was aligned?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

IMO with that much rear camber and rear toe that car would have to understeer like crazy. Where did you get those numbers from??
Old 11-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Less than 1k on the tires

May seem way off b/c car is lowered about 2" or more. so stocks specs are out the window. plus with the offsets an widths of my wheels I have to run an agressive cambered stance.

I tried to stay as close as possible to the specs I found on a thread in here. I'll see if I can find it again. A couple of people Iknow backed up the threads posted specs.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds silly but did you check your tire pressure?

Last time I got 4 new tires the car was driving like ass and all over the place and when I got home I checked the tire pressures to find that one of the rear tires had 100psi in it (must have been from when they were getting it to seat and forgot to let the pressure back out).
Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 AM

done that almost everyday, check the pressure. Its consistant all the way around.

Quick Reply: Car is Acting Retarded!