S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running

Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running

Hi. I have a peculiar problem and I figured I would document it and seek help.

Here is the situation.

- My motor was recently swapped. My brand new clutch kit was transferred from my old motor to my new motor. Prior to the swap the clutch had no issues.
- With the car on in neutral and stopped with the clutch pressed in I can only shift into 3rd/4th with a small amount of force.
- With the car off I have no issues shifting into all gears. (this leads me to think it is a clutch issue)
- I can shift into any gear, turn the car on and de-press the clutch pedal for a successful engagement. (this leads me to think it is not an issue with hydraulic pressure)
- Fluid is full and there is no leaking
- I can press the clutch pedal while in a gear, take the shifter out of gear, and put the shifter back into that gear.
- Once I get the car rolling it seems to upshift normally through all the gears. It will even downshift, but it is as easy as normal.
- If the car is slowly rolling I can get the car into gear. If I'm slowly rolling forwards I can get into first. If I am slowly rolling backwards I can get into reverse. It does take some force though.
- There does not appear to be any clutch chatter.

I am contemplating dropping the transmission.

So far I have changed the transmission fluid and the symptoms have not changed.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

May need to bleed the clutch hydraulics.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,045 Posts

So many of these threads lately.

Did you adjust the clutch free play?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
So many of these threads lately.

Did you adjust the clutch free play?
Yes. Didn't change anything.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
There is no air in the system. No evidence of leaking and pumping the pedal doesn't help anything. Also pedal feels great. No sponginess.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 PM

UPDATE: Dropped my transmission in my garage. Inspected everything and took pics. Everything looks OK to me? Only thing that looks bad is flywheel burning. I'm not even sure if its that bad. It's a relatively new fly wheel.

Flywheel

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-1b9upqh.jpg

Pressure plate (scratch is from a bolt)

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-aviqtic.jpg

Clutch backside

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-r7ep3h4.jpg

Clutch frontside

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-rtl0k4d.jpg

Release bearing?

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-ze5owhj.jpg
Old 07-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Here is a video that shows the hydraulic pressure from bumping the clutch slave cylinder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyqg1v6fef...46.27.mp4?dl=0
Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
So after sitting in frustration for a few days I figured I would bleed the system for the hell of it. Instead of doing a normal gravity bleed (which I have done multiple times on this setup) I decided to bleed it a certain way since I've never done it before and it's just hanging out there in the open. I decided to bleed it by pointing the bleeder straight up and actually slowly pressing the push rod back in.

Sure enough the first 3 times I did it air started spewing out of the bleeder...

Time to put this clutch back together and see if that solves my issues.

Thanks to Billman once again for the bleeding tip.

Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running-qad5bjl.png
Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM

UPDATE

I finally put the car back together after having some issues. I bled the clutch and attempted to go for a drive. I ended up driving the car around town for about an hour.

The car now has much less resistance when going into gear. It still takes a light bit of force ( more than my other s2k) but it will go into first. Once the car is driving it
shifts great. I have zero problems with down shifting as well.

I'm not satisfied though. The resistance is still abnormal. Sometimes when I try to put it into first you can hear the knock of the gear engaging and the car will creep ever so slightly forward. If I get the chance tomorrow I will bleed the system even more in hopes that it will alleviate any resulting issues.

As usual any guidance is always appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Just to be sure... you have one photo with clutch disc flipped (T/M side on wrong side of plate). This isn't an issue? Right?

Quick Reply: Can't shift into 1st, 5th, 6th, and reverse when stopped with engine running