S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cant Peel Out?????

Old 05-11-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Peel Out?????

So here's the deal...if I rev the car up too 6K and completely drop the clutch......the car violently bangs around....and hops down the road, with this horible loud "BANG BANG BANG" and everything shakes to sh!t. The whole car vibrates like crazy.

Is this normal? If it's not what am I suposse to say to the dealer? I can't peel out?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Swiftvision
I can't peel out?
Sorry to be the one to inform you but this car was not built or designed for drag strip purposes.

It sounds to me like you may have damaged your differential.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 AM

Hmmmm...could be the differential......

<-------no problems peeling out if I want even without a high clutch drop
Old 05-11-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like wheel hop to me. I had it in my Prelude, and it's common on FWD cars, but I don't know how common it is in RWD cars.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 AM

wheel hop in a RWD, not too common...you need practice but i don't recommend it. S2000's are cornering machines, not dragsters
Old 05-11-2004, 12:53 PM

The one and only time I did a 6k dump was I sidestepped the clutch and it just connected. I left some rubber and the car just smoothly accelerated. I would figure hopping around would be a bad thing and could symbolize a more serious problem.

I would guess that if the car isn't acting normal when you are trying to do something, stop trying to do that "thing" until you can get the car looked at.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 PM

I understand the S2000 is not a drag car, but it should peel out. In fact thats the best way to launch. Keep those revs high.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:06 PM

"peeling out" is just the clutch engaging and the wheels slipping, which is better than the clutch slipping, or smoking it in general

Yeah, the S2000 should be able to launch, but on a circuit course how many times do you have to do that in a race? Just when you leave the pits or at the start. Most of the time races are rolling starts anyways.

The clutch / differential setup in the S2000 is weak in comparison to a car like the GTO, or the Corvette, or the Viper SRT-10. People who own those will more likely go to a straight line drag strip and not a circut.

If you launch the S2000 you are taking a larger risk of damage than perhaps in other cars. Either wait for VTEC to pull you out of the hole, or you run the risk of cracking or destroying the rear differential, or smoking the clutch.

Now with upgraded equipment, you'll be more likely be able to launch more regularly and more consistently.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

When you dump the clutch, floor the gas pedal and see if doesn't launch smoothly. It sounds like you are holding it at 6000, dumping the clutch, but trying to keep your foot positioned at the same point on the gas pedal. As the car pulls forward, you involuntarily lift off the gas, the car then bogs, you go forward and you hit the gas again. This can be repeated many times and it feels like the car is jumping around. Hold to 6,000, dump the clutch, floor the gas. If it still hops around, something is wrong.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your tire pressures. It's easier to "peel" out with higher pressures (35 -36 psi). The other possibility is that you ain't doing it right.
In any case, I'm sure your dealer will be rubbing his hands together and have dollar signs in his eyes fairly soon.

Quick Reply: Cant Peel Out?????