S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can't get the oil filter off

Old 10-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can't get the oil filter off

i know this sounds pretty sad but i just can't get the oil filter off...are there any tips on getting it off for the first time. i have tried to turn it already and tried hard. any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:05 PM

It will be pretty hard for you to remove it by hand. Are you using a filter removal tool? That should take it off easily.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best oil filter wrench I've ever used....
Old 10-24-2004, 02:13 PM

i will buy one but i unfortunately need to get it off tonight this is a blow to my wannabe shadetree mechanic status...sigh.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:15 PM

If you get desperate I've seen people jam a screw-driver through one and turn. Just make sure to do it on the outermost part of the filter so you dont hit the screw-thing that the filter attaches to.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:15 PM

if you have to remove it now and can't get a hold of a wrench stab it with a screw driver and use the leverage to turn it open. A little messy but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:55 PM

I had the same problem with my new 04 when I just did my oil change. I drilled a small hole at the end of the filter away from the engine and then placed a screwdriver in the hole to get some levarage on it. Having the AEM CAI in allowed me to do this easily from above because the stock intake and air filter was not in the way. It actually wasnt that messy. Just make sure you have something to catch the oil as you puncture the filter. And remember not to put the next one on so tight.

scott
Old 10-24-2004, 05:28 PM

thanks for everyone's input. i had to make a trip to the parts store and buy an oil filter wrench...i figure i'll get some use out of it in the future. i didn't realize how low to the ground the s is...there's no way to change the oil without jackstands or wheelstands.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:43 PM

sodaking663rd Make sure you tighten the oil filter really tight. Don't use the wrench to tighten it. If your hands are clean, they should grip the filter good enough to get it real tight by hand. I have heard of oil filters loosening and puking oil all over and in some cases, creating a flash fire.

The first time I changed my oil filter, I thought it was on pretty tight. About a week later, I noticed a little bit of oil around the base of the filter. Like a dumbass, I tried to tighten it. OUCH...that $hit was hot. Anyhow, I let it cool down, then wiped it clean. I then tightend it as tight as I could by hand and have not had a problem since.

I have never had to tighten an oil filter on any of my other cars as tight as this car requires. Just giving you the heads up. Make sure it is real tight.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:47 PM

thanks racer i'll go downstairs and twist it more if possible.

Quick Reply: can't get the oil filter off