S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't get my trunk open?!?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't get my trunk open?!?

I just picked up my car from the body shop this afternoon from having everything shaved and the whole car resprayed. I have the keyhole on the trunk shaved to give it a cleaner appearance. When I got to the body shop, I pressed the button on my key fob, put my work computer in it and drove home. I get home and to to grab my computer and now my trunk won't open. I've tried the button on the fob as well as the trunk release inside the console and still nothing. I then noticed that the fob won't lock or unlock the doors so I thought maybe the battery in the fob itself died. I put a new battery and still can't even get it to do anything. I've tried reprogramming the fob thinking maybe that was it but I can't even get the fob to program.

I have a big project I need to work on for work but obviously can't since my compute is locked in my trunk.

Any suggestions?

FYI, I apologize if this doesn't make sense. I'm typing this on my phone at dinner.

TIA

Steve
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the power lock fuse under the dash. Also try locking the driver door when you are in the car. it should automatically try to lock the passenger door. If it does not the fuse may be blown.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM

I checked the fuse when I got home and sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it with another 15 amp fuse and as soon as I pressed any key on the fob, it blew that one as well.

Is it possible that removing the key mechanism from the trunk has something to do with it? I looked at the latch and everything appears to be connected still.

I'm confused.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that the body shop just worked on the rear keyhole, check area for shorts.

There should be a switch in or around the trunk latch area, unplug it to see if the fuse still blows, look for damaged wires around where the body shop did their work.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM

This sucks.... bring it back to the body shop! They might have scraped some wiring or messed with the electrical components a little. GL
Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really need to get in the trunk you may be able to do it from the passenger side. There is a big tunnel behind the plastic, rear of the passenger seat. You'll have to reach in there and unscrew the spare and then force it and the cover into the trunk. Once you do that if you have long arms you can reach the rescue lever on the trunk mechanism. I'm not saying this is easy, but it's possible. The hole is right behind the panel with the vent in it.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to swing by the body shop on my lunch break today and let them have a gander at it.

SgtB - when I replaced the fuse, I opened the trunk via the center console release button and made sure I got my computer out right before the fuse blew again.

I'll post an update once I find out something.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

The key tumbler mechanism in the trunk has no electrical components. The car will have no idea if it gets taken out. the latch in the middle has the electrical stuff and as it is only your fob causing issues and not the button in the car. Id start there.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 AM

I'll do that as well. Can you explain as to why my fuse would still be blowing if I unlock/lock my doors by either the fob or the door locks inside the car?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Banned

Try a higher fuse rating, maybe 5-10amps higher. possible short somewhere that is causing this. What other electrical mods do you have? Stereo/ alarm, amps speakers that are not hooked up properly?

Quick Reply: Can't get my trunk open?!?