S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't get my tranny out!!! Help please

Old 02-19-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my tranny out!!! Help please

Need some advise if anyone out there has had to pull a tranny off an S2K.

I got all the bolts off the bell to block. Starter, slave, driveshaft, crossmember and wires are all disconnected. Engine is supported top-side and the tranny is sitting on a trans jack (no load on the input shaft). Motor and tranny are lined up and the furthest I can separate the two is about 15mm.

This sucker's got really low miles on it too but I just can't seem to slide her out. I just thought I post on here before I got frustrated and used the BFH method.

Can anyone help me out?

TIA
Andrew
Old 02-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you had to drop the engine in order to get the tranny out. I could have sworn someone mentioned this previously.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM

Oh, didn't think this would be of use but the front subframe assembly (steering, susp., brakes, motor and tranny) are all sitting on a bench.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:40 PM

I'm starting to worry about a mushroomed I.S.

F**K!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It bolts from both directions.. and is also held by the upper starter bolt. You must have one bolt left in somewhere.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Well if the engine/trans assy is out of the car, one of two things can be holding it up....the pilot bearing is stuck to the input shaft and is hitting the foward side of the disc(unlikely) or the spine has devolped some rust on the front side portion where it doesn't get used(most likely). I would try to hit the spine with some rust solvent, then push the tranny all the way back in. Back and forth a few times and it will slide out.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:45 PM

If I take tranny out of there without dropping engine, is possible at something might go wrong? Is that kind of safety mode??
Old 02-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by billman250
Well if the engine/trans assy is out of the car, one of two things can be holding it up....the pilot bearing is stuck to the input shaft and is hitting the foward side of the disc(unlikely) or the spine has devolped some rust on the front side portion where it doesn't get used(most likely). I would try to hit the spine with some rust solvent, then push the tranny all the way back in. Back and forth a few times and it will slide out.
Yeah that sounds about right. Better than reefing on it like I would be on a lesser car.

I was kinda hoping that they engineered some sort of stop or something and that was holding me up. Even though common sense to me otherwise.

I'll hit it with some liquid wrench and let it soak for a while before I try to pull it out. If all else fails, I guess I'm pulling the PP bolts off one at a time with a wrench.

Thanks a lot billman

roenick: AFAIK the only reason to drop or tilt the engine would be for clearance issues.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by no12nv
Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to pull out the clutch fork. It engages in a slot in the thrust bearing and will hold the engine and gearbox together.

Unbolt the clutch slave cylinder, then pull the fork outwards.

( check for any bolts you may have missed)

Whatever you do dont undo any bolts in the side of the bellhousing or your reverse selector pivot will fall into the box.

Speedracer

Quick Reply: Can't get my tranny out!!! Help please