S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't get Mux xbrace to fit

Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't get Mux xbrace to fit

I'm trying to install my Muz x-brace right now and it's NOT FITTING!@ I've loosened all of the chassis screws around the 4 bolts. I also tried jacking from the front and then from different angles on the sides to see if that would help. Nothing. It's like I need the brace to be 1mm wider to fit properly.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r u using 4 jacks to prop the car so its leveled? Did you buy the car new or was it used?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:32 PM

This should help

Muz Xbrace

Old 11-12-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the brackets that you bolt the x-brace onto.

Once off, you will see there is portion drilled on it that allows movement prior to torqing down on.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM

I bought the car new and it has 14k of almost all freeway miles. No accidents or anything that would make me think my chassis was bent.

As that thread and FMINUS suggested, I think I need to get my car on a rail hoist or get my car up on 4 jacks. I've tried using just the two front jackpoints behind the front wheels and also just the front jack point by the transmission. Neither help with the brace.

I even took off both brackets and the stock crossbeam so i could have direct access to all four mounting holes. Even without anything in the way, I can't fully mount my xbrace. I was able to get both passenger side screws in this way. But no matter what I do, I can't get the driver side screws in. The holes are off by 1.5mm.

I measured the holes on the actual xbrace and the driver vs. passenger side is off by about 1.5mm. But I'll try to get 4 wheels off the ground before I claim a xbrace defect

In the meantime...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM

I had the spoon x brace and even with the car propped on 4 jacks, it was still a tight fit.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my Spoon X-brace at around 9k miles on my AP1 and the fitment was perfect. I think as the car begins to age and it sees more miles the chassis slowly flexes out of shape. Wait until these cars start getting 10-15 yrs old and people buy them with the intent to modify only to find out that a lot of the bracing no longer truely a simple bolt-on! Extra bracing early on in a car's life is good IMO
Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 PM

Drill. Though I'm not completely familiar with the muz brace, (I have Spoon) I had to drill the brace to enlarge the holes to get the bolts to line up.

I had to to this on my AP1 and AP2.

Andy
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid,Nov 13 2006, 03:04 PM
Drill. Though I'm not completely familiar with the muz brace, (I have Spoon) I had to drill the brace to enlarge the holes to get the bolts to line up.

Andy
Woh...scary, but I guess that's an option. Thanks.

I bought 2 more jacks today and will try installing while my car is up on 4 jacks.

This all makes me wonder why my chassis is off in the first place.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid,Nov 13 2006, 03:04 PM

Andy
what?, with the enlarged hole, the bar would slide and move when it's loaded.

This defeats the whole purpose of having a x brace in the first place.

it's a tight fit, i have a muz x/h brace and i s;pent an hour putting it on, you have to do the cross pattern thing.

please don't waste your brace by drilling/alternating it, it's a tight fit because it's how's spoon design it to work/fit/performs

Quick Reply: Can't get Mux xbrace to fit