S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can't get car in gear while running

Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get car in gear while running

Driving normally on the highway one day I noticed it was hard to get in gear on a downshift. I got off the highway, stopped at a light and when I when I tried to get it in first it was really hard. I eventually got it in gear (the clutch pedal was very soft at this point as well) and limped it to work nearby.

When I parked I tried to get it in first while running and it was hard. When I got in gear there was a whooshing, spinning chatter (1st and 2nd gear). I took it out of gear and tried to get it in again and now it won't go in gear at all.

Changed the slave, bled the system - still no luck and the pedal is still really soft. Bad master?? Or possibly the clutch disc?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: Installed the new CMC, bled the system (Billman's way) and I still had a soft clutch. I was able to get it in gear this time around, but once I got it in gear, I heard the chatter again. I started getting off the clutch and there was a load high pitched grinding noise as I was moving forward. There was eventually a thumping noise, I lost the clutch completely and it was stuck in first while moving forward. I had to shut it down to stop. At this point the clutch pedal is pretty much non-existant and I cannot get it in gear again. I was able to drive it out of the shop by pushing the shifter towards first gear and creeping it out at like 1mph.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it, but usually when you hear chatter something is broken on the clutch.

You made sure you bled it good?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Air in the slave, guaranteed. Especially with a soft pedal.

Unbolt slave, point bleeder straight up, open it. Gravity will push the air right out. Close it fast after the air, should be 5-8 seconds total process from opening the bleeder.

Trust Me On THIS
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Air in the slave, guaranteed. Especially with a soft pedal.

Unbolt slave, point bleeder straight up, open it. Gravity will push the air right out. Close it fast after the air, should be 5-8 seconds total process from opening the bleeder.

Trust Me On THIS
I bled it as you described the first time around with no luck. I then changed the slave and bled it the traditional way. We just could not get the system to build pressure. ???
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM

they sell tools to help you bleed the system properly.. Sound like that's the problem. Sometimes its very difficult to get the air out without proper tool.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM

There is no s2k that cannot be gravity bled.

The pocket of air rests in the slave, unless the MC is shot.

I'm banking on air.

Are you SURE you pointed the bleeder STRAIGHT up? If you dont get the right angle, the air will not come out.

Have someone watch the fluid level and keep filling it if you must. open the bleeder, and tip the slave in various directions. Trust me the air will come out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
There is no s2k that cannot be gravity bled.

The pocket of air rests in the slave, unless the MC is shot.

I'm banking on air.

Are you SURE you pointed the bleeder STRAIGHT up? If you dont get the right angle, the air will not come out.

Have someone watch the fluid level and keep filling it if you must. open the bleeder, and tip the slave in various directions. Trust me the air will come out.
Alright I'll give it another shot and report back. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM

UPDATE: Installed the new CMC, bled the system (Billman's way) and I still had a soft clutch. I was able to get it in gear this time around, but once I got it in gear, I heard the chatter again. I started getting off the clutch and there was a load high pitched grinding noise as I was moving forward. There was eventually a thumping noise, I lost the clutch completely and it was stuck in first while moving forward. I had to shut it down to stop. At this point the clutch pedal is pretty much non-existant and I cannot get it in gear again. I was able to drive it out of the shop by pushing the shifter towards first gear and creeping it out at like 1mph.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM

You lost all feel in the clutch pedal? Why did you change the CMC you couldnt get a pedal?

Unbolt the slave, and temporarily remove the big black boot that hides the fork. Re-bolt the slave. This will give you good insight as to what is going on.

have someone operate the clutch, and watch the travel of the slave, the fork, and the TO bearing and the fingers.

Either the fork is moving, or it is not. It is either pulling the pressure plate fingers out, or it is not.

This is very simple ground level diagnostics. This will save you from replacing additional parts for nothing.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks Billman. I had a pedal before I put the CMC in, but it was a spongy pedal. I also noticed what appeared to be a leak from the CMC from the inside of the car. That and since I get a discount on parts, I figured it wouldn't hurt to swap it out. I'll have a look at the slave with the boot off. I appreciate the advice thus far.

Quick Reply: Can't get car in gear while running