S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can You See Any Problems From This Engine Bay?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
lol, What's with the hate on non-oem oil filter.
They tend to be not very good and usually indicative of people looking to cut corners where corners do not need to be cut.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

If he has the fuse / relay box tucked under the fender it would be a royal pain to access. If it's elsewhere the added wire length will increase resistance and alternator load. Same with the relocated battery.
The horn is missing or relocated. It may not be as audible, depending on its new location.

Air flow with that air filter will be worse than the stock airbox. I'm not a fan of sacrificing performance for"neatness".
Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by GSteg' timestamp='1414096682' post='23380558
They tend to be not very good and usually indicative of people looking to cut corners where corners do not need to be cut.
The filter is the least to worry about since oil filters generally don't go bad. Even 'cheap' ones don't fail. On the S2000, you're more likely to have your oil filter loosen up than for the filter to malfunction.

If anything, the biggest issue with the car is simply how unfinished it looks. I would have at least cleaned up the engine bay before snapping a picture.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1414101413' post='23380678
[quote name='GSteg' timestamp='1414096682' post='23380558']
The filter is the least to worry about since oil filters generally don't go bad. Even 'cheap' ones don't fail. On the S2000, you're more likely to have your oil filter loosen up than for the filter to malfunction.

If anything, the biggest issue with the car is simply how unfinished it looks. I would have at least cleaned up the engine bay before snapping a picture.
[/quote]
This is not what we're talking about. The S2000 is highly sensitive to the pressure drop and flow rate accross its filter unlike many standard cars. Have you seen the oil passage that feeds the head of these cars? It's only 1, at the front corner of the head, and is only like 3 mm diameter...

It's not about the filter failing, it's about causing an engine failure.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also don't like that I'm looking at a car on a craptastic dirt/gravel nightmare of a ground and a car cover sitting next to it...
Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude might have a project in mind.. it isn't your money.. it isn't your dream.. you go piss on other peoples dreams.. what.. didn't get enough love as a child.. go for it dude.. I see potential... you got inspired.. why let all this negative stop you.. they aren't making a New S2000.. whatever they make.. it is not going to be.. this car... all these cars, that are here by left.. are, PRICELESS.. figure it out... less the frames bent.. it's all rebuild... it's just what's your plan, it's your money.... when the dust settles, when some of these chits get back to their beamers an gti's and datsuns, there will be those.. who know.. those who follow a code... those.. few.. dedicated... anyway, enough of this....
Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley
This is not what we're talking about. The S2000 is highly sensitive to the pressure drop and flow rate accross its filter unlike many standard cars. Have you seen the oil passage that feeds the head of these cars? It's only 1, at the front corner of the head, and is only like 3 mm diameter...

It's not about the filter failing, it's about causing an engine failure.

Not to get too deep into this since it's off-topic, but oil filters do not dictate engine oil pressure. If there is too much pressure differential before and after the filter media due to clogging, the bypass valve opens, but your oil pressure isn't going anywhere. If non-oem filters are that bad, we would have seen postings everywhere on this site about engines blowing up because I'm guessing not everyone here runs OEM. How many examples are there of the hyper-sensitive F20/F22 engine grenading due to non-oem use? I can't seem to find any, other than speculations. Actually I did, but apparently the car belongs to a neighbor's friend's uncle's dog's caretaker's facebook friend. Obviously, it's preferred to go OEM whenever possible, but it doesn't mean everything else is crap.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Also, the brake fluid reservoir looks pretty dark. Chances are if the brake fluid has not been flushed, neither has the clutch fluid. These cars are in constant need for clutch fluid change.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryuu
dude might have a project in mind.. it isn't your money.. it isn't your dream.. you go piss on other peoples dreams.. what.. didn't get enough love as a child.. go for it dude.. I see potential... you got inspired.. why let all this negative stop you.. they aren't making a New S2000.. whatever they make.. it is not going to be.. this car... all these cars, that are here by left.. are, PRICELESS.. figure it out... less the frames bent.. it's all rebuild... it's just what's your plan, it's your money.... when the dust settles, when some of these chits get back to their beamers an gti's and datsuns, there will be those.. who know.. those who follow a code... those.. few.. dedicated... anyway, enough of this....

OP asked, " can you see any problems with this engine bay?"
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.T
Originally Posted by Ryuu' timestamp='1414155199' post='23381325

OP asked, " can you see any problems with this engine bay?"
do you...

i already stated, i see potential..

i'll say it differently, you have your based upon your experiences, I have mine, which I also rebuilt.. but have a clean title.. i'd only waste my money on a salvage for a track car.. but, you saw potentail.. and.. if your into just such detail as you feel.. i bet your doing a fantastic job.. i feel in parts.. on mine, I have..

Quick Reply: Can You See Any Problems From This Engine Bay?