S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can you fail OBDII inspection for a swapped ECU?

Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 23 2007, 02:27 PM
Utah said the CAR cannot send VIN info to the ECU.
Just to clarify the VIN issue. OEM manufacturers can put a VIN identifier in the ECU (my understanding is that to date only US manufacturers have chosen to do so). Aftermarket ECU's do not have a VIN identifier. The intent of the VIN identifier is to provide law enforcement a tool in theft recovery...it has nothing to do with emissions or emissions law compliance. The software compares the VIN identifier in the ECU to the VIN entered in during the emissions test. If there is a mismatch then law enforcement is to be notified. Law enforement then looks to see if the errant VIN is from a stolen vehicle. So yes big brother is watching.

Utah

P.S. Clone...nice to have another OBD-II freak in the community
Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well he definitely didnt enter the VIN from my car into the computer during the inspection. So unless when that thing dialed out to do whatever it does it checks some database using my license plate number to cross reference it to a VIN, and then checks the VIN from the ECU, then I think that Big Bro won't know whats going on.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Here in California the smog technitian will enter the VIN and the plate number when they input the vehicle's information to the computer.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI - Just passed in a third state with the Mugen ECU. Although the test result was PASS the test gear used here (Washington State) does do a more complete report which had the techs asking questions. The Mugen ECU reports the cat, egr, evap, O2, etc. as not supported, but since there are no codes or misfires it passes. BTW, no report or discussion about the VIN which is simply scanned from the label inside the door.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 25 2007, 02:33 PM
Well he definitely didnt enter the VIN from my car into the computer during the inspection. So unless when that thing dialed out to do whatever it does it checks some database using my license plate number to cross reference it to a VIN, and then checks the VIN from the ECU, then I think that Big Bro won't know whats going on.
chances are, he just scanned the barcode on the door jamb, and never had to type the VIN characters. It's pretty quick to do, and if you're not paying close attention you'll miss it.

I dunno, I've really only worked emissions analyzers in GA and TX, and both states require you to input VIN and license plate data... the analyzer then reports both peices of information to a state database, to find any testing information for the current registration year. (i.e., if it's been tested within the past, however long... 90 days here in GA... or if it's a current retest on a failed initial inspection).

But yeah, they do that shit to check on inspectors, as well as motorists... it's basically there for falsifying tests... because I could input the VIN number from an S2000, and test a Ford Focus instead, and the analyzer wouldn't know... now the S2000 has a passing test when it shouldn't. They call it "Clean Piping," and here in GA it's a felony Falsifying Government Documents charge. So they take it pretty seriously.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Mar 8 2007, 02:30 PM
FYI - Just passed in a third state with the Mugen ECU. Although the test result was PASS the test gear used here (Washington State) does do a more complete report which had the techs asking questions. The Mugen ECU reports the cat, egr, evap, O2, etc. as not supported, but since there are no codes or misfires it passes. BTW, no report or discussion about the VIN which is simply scanned from the label inside the door.
yeah that ECU should pass in every state, because of the reasons you stated. They're not going to come after you, as a motorist, for the VIN issue. What might happen is that your test will become flagged in the State's database, and will be reviewed... if the test is found false, then the State acts accordingly against the station, or personally against the inspector.

Chances are, that would only happen if the aftermarket ECU was installed in a car that originally had a VIN-keyed ECU. Like Utah said, it's mostly domestic manufacturers, so if your Mustang's aftermarket ECU is tested, it'll probably be flagged. Most Honda's do not have VIN keyed ECUs until the more current model years... I'm not sure about S2000s, but I think they are keyed... but I'm not positive.