S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can the wheel bearign cause damage to the diff?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the wheel bearign cause damage to the diff?

Hi guys, im just after a bit of info in regards to a damaged wheel bearing.

I installed a brand new spoon 1.5 way lsd a few months back, (clutch pack diff)
and about a week ago i have noticed some noises coming from my right rear wheel as well as very bad vibrations when i am accelerating, now from searching through previous threads i have a feeling it could be beacause of a bad wheel bearing but i will send it into honda to check out soon.

Now my question is that if it is a bad wheel bearing could this be causing damage to my clutch pack diff? from my understanding if ithere is a bad wheel bearing then there will be more friction when spinning the wheel and does this cause the clutch pack diff to lock up due to it detecting friction between the wheels?
(some advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone can clarify this for me that would be great thanks)
just wanted to know cos i have been driving my car to and from work for the past 2 weeks with the wheel bearing like this and am unable to get to a dealership for another week due to being booked out.)
Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds more like the inner CV problem. The vibration happens under acceleration and can be worse when accelerating and turning (sweeping corner type turn).

Either replace the inner CV joints or swap them from driver side to passenger side. The latter is the cheapest and works well. The problem is abnormal wear on the flat surface of the CV race. By swapping sides, you present the CV bearing a new surface while in forward motion. Note that the vibration will exist when accelerating rapidly in reverse...hopefully you don't do that very much.

Here are details with pics of the problem and the swap solution:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241367

BTW...is a clutch pack diff better than a torsen diff? I'd always thought that the torsen was the best out there.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jan 7 2007, 12:40 AM
Note that the vibration will exist when accelerating rapidly in reverse...hopefully you don't do that very much.
But it's so much fun to do, esp. J-turns.

Warren
Old 01-07-2007, 02:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

negcamber Posted on Jan 7 2007, 06:40 AM
BTW...is a clutch pack diff better than a torsen diff? I'd always thought that the torsen was the best out there.
"Our" Torsen T-2 unit doesn't work with one wheel in the air.
(because the torque supplied/"used" by the wheel in the air = 0 and the Torsen unit "multiplies" torque, anything multiplied by 0 = 0)

A clutch pack LSD does, the friction to "lock" left to right is always there, provided by (spring loaded?) clutch packs.
(the difference between 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0-way is the way it acts during on/off throttle situations.
IMO the Torsen units work the same during on and off throttle making it a 2-way unit)

Torsen also make the T-2R, a pre-loaded unit to provide torque to the other wheel with one wheel in the air.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that Negcamber,
i shall tell the mechanic to look at the inner cv joints first, if it is the inner cv's do they make a sort of noise when you are driving?
as i am getting the vibration only on throtttle, but am constantly hearing a noise coming from the right rear wheel area.
could this be the wheel bearing as well?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper_R,Jan 7 2007, 06:57 AM
could this be the wheel bearing as well?
Yes...if you are getting a clicking or squealing from the rear, that could be the bearing as well. Note...if the bearing is squealing, the hub may already be damaged...replace the hub along with the bearing.

One more thought...if you had a mechanic install the new diff for you, make sure he knows that the hub nut should be torqued to 220ft-lb rather than the 180ft-lb shown in the manual. If he torqued to the manual's specs (which are incorrect...Honda has a TSB out to correct), then the bearing life would be shortened. I've also seen hub nuts where the mechanic forgot to notch the nut to keep it from backing off too much...make sure that was done.

Spitty...thanks for the info...did not know that.