S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can a VAFC be used w/ Comptech SC and ESM

Old 04-13-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by RCR S2
EMANAGE would be second, but still doesn't give you the flexibility you need.
It's no AEM, but it's a quantum leap past the V-AFC. You can actually drive injectors and control ignition timing.

If I was to draw a line with VAFC at one end and AEM at the other the E-manage would sit in between, but it would be a lot closer to the AEM than the VAFC.

IMHO.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by honda9krpm
and what proof have you got to say so?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 PM

For someone who never backs up their claims you sure are insistent.

You had a certain set up and went out of your way to say that me, my tuners and my set up were no good and that I would blow an engine. Then, you blew your engine.

You're right that with my limited access to your car (it's two states away), and the only reports of it filtered through your words (and we've all know how reliable they are) I'm not in a great position to make judgement on your car. But the fact is, you and I had very different approaches to tuning, and my car is still going. Everybody can make up their own minds.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
For someone who never backs up their claims you sure are insistent.
so what did I claim again?
it's you who claimed that I my engine failure is due to detonation and tuning from VAFC
you explain your logics or claimed that you know the logic but failed to answer my technical questions

just in case you forgot them already
1. how much timing is changed by the vafc?
2. is it advance or retardation with increasing map voltage?
3. how significant is this change? is it enough to cause detonation or damage?

it's easy to say washy wishy when you know a littlbe bit about tuning, but can you answer these specific questions and prove what you claimed?

You had a certain set up and went out of your way to say that me, my tuners and my set up were no good and that I would blow an engine. Then, you blew your engine.
for someone with this sort of memory...I don't know why I waste my time here
I did not say anything like that before I blew my engine
I said it after some prick irritated me after I blew my engine
I am 80% certain that you will blew your from another cause, I was not referring to tuning when I said it.

You're right that with my limited access to your car (it's two states away), and the only reports of it filtered through your words (and we've all know how reliable they are) I'm not in a great position to make judgement on your car. But the fact is, you and I had very different approaches to tuning, and my car is still going. Everybody can make up their own minds.
I'll let other people think what they like to think.
Bottom line is that it does not bother me at all.
If they think I am not worth talking to because I had scratches in 2nd cylinder due to sparkplug failure then that is their choice. I am sure there are a lot more people with more intelligence and manner than you on this forum

BTW who is the we that you are referring to
Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 PM

so what did I claim again?
You claim lots of things in many posts but can't back them up.

"A friend told me"
"I read it somewhere"

That's about as good as it gets. I saw today where you posted the throughput of stock injectors. You don't say at what pressure or how you tested it. But let me guess, a friend told you. If you don't know don't bother posting. You're just muddying the water.

If I haven't answered your question it's because I don't know the answer, and unlike you, don't think that just posting any old crap is a good substitution.

But, as you insist on asking here's my answers:
1. how much timing is changed by the vafc?
The V-AFC doesn't directly effect timing. The stock ECU has maps based on many parameters such as MAP, IAT, RPM etc and changes the timing accordingly. That said, any changes to the MAP do have secondary effects on timing and it is the uncertainty of these changes (as the ECU MAPS are not public domain) that makes the V-AFC a kuldge tuning device.

2. is it advance or retardation with increasing map voltage?
Generally retard I believe but as there are other criteria I wouldn't rely on it. The issue I've seen is when you up fuel pressure at the FPR but use the MAP signal to reduce fuel (by reducing it's voltage). The secondary effect can be advanced timing, which you don't want.

3. how significant is this change? is it enough to cause detonation or damage?
Sorry, that's subjective and based on too many variables. Know anyone who has an SC, a V-AFC, and has damaged their engine.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 AM

That's about as good as it gets. I saw today where you posted the throughput of stock injectors. You don't say at what pressure or how you tested it. But let me guess, a friend told you. If you don't know don't bother posting. You're just muddying the water.
let me double check the thread and see if anyone has posted this info yet otherwise you will say that I copied it, let also double check what sh!t you posted in there as well

Nope, no one mentioned it yet, so safe to post the info
here ya go
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...3&showignored=1

If I haven't answered your question it's because I don't know the answer, and unlike you, don't think that just posting any old crap is a good substitution.

But, as you insist on asking here's my answers:
The V-AFC doesn't directly effect timing. The stock ECU has maps based on many parameters such as MAP, IAT, RPM etc and changes the timing accordingly. That said, any changes to the MAP do have secondary effects on timing and it is the uncertainty of these changes (as the ECU MAPS are not public domain) that makes the V-AFC a kuldge tuning device.
Generally retard I believe but as there are other criteria I wouldn't rely on it. The issue I've seen is when you up fuel pressure at the FPR but use the MAP signal to reduce fuel (by reducing it's voltage). The secondary effect can be advanced timing, which you don't want.
Sorry, that's subjective and based on too many variables. Know anyone who has an SC, a V-AFC, and has damaged their engine.
So let me summarise your answer, please correct me if I am wrong
1. I don't know....blah blah
2. Increase map voltage, indirectly causes some retardation in timing. (You are correct) In a comptech system you can only use the VAFC by dialing up fuel pressure and remove fuel by lowering the map voltage. (Yes I agree too) This is unsafe ON THE COMPTECH SC SYSTEM.
3. pathetic mock

On your second answer, you are correct. I think slows2k has made a silly mistake in his earlier statement...no biggy. Auss2k, your understanding for the comptech system can not be applied directly to the vortech system. You can use some of the principles though.

This is why I STRESSED to you SO MANY TIMES that the VAFC is not useful for all FI applications.
It's only effective in the STANDARD Vortech system. Don't know why you kept on saying that I said it's good for all FI and good for supercharger systems
You may be awared of this but in the vortech system, one only ADD MAP voltage with the vafc. If you don't believe so, check with so many people that are using the VAFC + Vortech. Therefore timing is not advanced but may be reduced. It's better than having only the vortech timing boxes. Now if you couple this application with the timing box software then you have a fairly descent tuning system for a STANDARD VORTECH SYSTEM. Why did I mentioned to check oil and EGT temp...well I am sure you and other know...won't waste time here.

If you know me you will know how honest and may be knowlegeable I am.
If I don't know or incorrec I always admit it.
I will always try to help as much as possible but I never like BS calls or silly challlenge like this.
If you don't know things ask me don't challenge me with BS statement and ask me to prove it.
Personally I am too busy with work and my post graduate study to deal with this. I don't know why I spent a lot of times conversing with you actually....may be we have something in common

Sorry to everyone else on the board with this silly racket.
I never own a comptech sc so I might be wronged here, but I do not believe that the VAFC is a good tool for tuning the comptech sc. If and only if, you are short of $$$ you can get the vortech timing boxes and the vafc on the basis of these logic. It's fairly straight forward so I hope you won't get confused by auss2k.

If bigger injectors and smaller pulley is the game then greddy emanage, microtech, aem, power fc (there is a group of tuner in japan that can modify it to fit any car....NOW THIS ONE I HEARD FROM ONE OF THE IMPORTER HERE ALONG TIME AGO ) and hks pro is teh go. (This is de ja vu for me auss2k....I am sure I posted this in the OZ section not tooo long ago). The emange has got it's limitations though. It wont' be able to control linjector larger than 600cc. BTW I personally have played with and researched the first four....some in more detail than the other I am going to run 20 psi with my vortech system and aem ems soon. I hope I better know what I am talking about here as there ais no tuner in my region for the aem ems

If any of you are short of $$$$ for the aem and not too keen on piggy back ecu, give the microtech a second look. I played with it on my friend's 200sx (the turbo version that you guys don't get in the US)
2 weeks ago, as he asked me to fixed up his cold start and high idle. The system looks fairly straight forward and easy to tune too. It's retailed here for $1095 ($USD 820) may be cheaper without the OZ tax for you guys. It has vtec control as well.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:33 PM

If you know me you will know how honest and may be knowlegeable I am.

If I don't know or incorrec I always admit it.
If that were true your PPD would be at the whoring level.

I will always try to help as much as possible but I never like BS calls or silly challlenge like this. If you don't know things ask me don't challenge me with BS statement and ask me to prove it.
Hang on, isn't that exactly what you did in your previous post? If you are going to ocontradict yourself at least do it in separate threads.

I don't know why I spent a lot of times conversing with you actually....may be we have something in common
I certainly hope not.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:39 PM

Old 04-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

H9k and Aus are gauranteed to get in an arguement over this topic. At least it makes for a interesting read from my PC. It's a good thing you guys aren't neighbors, or you really wouldn't like each other. BTW, If I haven't made it clear, I'm not a fan if using a VAFC on any SC'd car, Comptech or Vortech.

The Comptech and Vortech Kits are Very similar. Like anything using an FMU, additional fueling is a bit sloppy. Both kits may need more control in boost to ensure a safe AF ratio.

I did make an error on my previous posts about increasing the MAP sensor voltage. It should be: Decreasing MAP Voltage Reduces fuel and advances timing as secondary effect. How much timing in Deg. is unknown. This is still a moot point for the most part, in boost you need to be adding fuel. I'll be editing my previous posts to show this. Sorry guys, I was having a dyslexic moment.

The stock PCM has interesting ways how it runs the ignition maps. The PCM is always retarding the timing some even at idle, from knock sensor feedback.

Everyone seems to have already agreed that a rising rate FMU, at Much higher fuel pressures, is not a accurate means of fuel enrichment. The great debate has been what is the most effective/cost effective way to gain some tunabilty. The E-Manage users have never said The E-manage is perfect. If I could afford it, I would own the AEM EMS. (As would Aus)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Slows2k
I did make an error on my previous posts about increasing the MAP sensor voltage.
That's right, it's all your fault.

Seriously, as much as our bitching has been annoying it does force some very interesting issues to the fore. I know I have had to look a lot deeper at certain issues because of h9ks challenges, and I'm pretty certain he has too.

Quick Reply: Can a VAFC be used w/ Comptech SC and ESM