S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can the State inspection Station Mess up my ECU?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the State inspection Station Mess up my ECU?

Something very strange happened to me the other day. I recently purchased an S2k in Virginia from a Honda dealership and drove it home to NJ. Being that it was purchased out of state i needed to get New Jersey State inspection. Went to the inspection station and everything was fine. Within 5 minutes of leaving the station me CEL came on, I know that inspection stations manually turn on the CEL to make sure that the bulb is not out so i didn't think anything of it. The next day i get in the car and the CEL is still on. I drive it around and at the end of the day scanned it and I get a primary o2 sensor code - so i'm thinking my o2 sensor is done and it was just a coincidence that it happened right after leaving the inspection station. So I order one off line and continue to drive me car around. While waiting for the sensor to arrive i put on about 350 miles on the car - yesterday i get in the car and the CEL turned it self off - WTF? Has anyone experienced any similar issues? Is there anything else that could have caused the code? Should i still replace the o2 sensor or just wait and see if it comes back on? I appreciate any input you guys have!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM

even though the CEL went off, its still going to be a stored code...since you already have the sensor, just replace it and then have the CEL reset...it will eventually come back on if its not reset
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
even though the CEL went off, its still going to be a stored code...since you already have the sensor, just replace it and then have the CEL reset...it will eventually come back on if its not reset

The code is stored but that doesn't necessarily mean there is still an error. For example if you screw on your gas cap incorrectly causing a CEL code, then tighten it the CEL light should rest after 3 engine cycles. I am trying to determine if the same thing is happening with the o2 sensor.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 AM

If you own a Android smartphone or tablet a wireless bluetooth adapter for obd2 scanner is a must have! It will allow you to scan codes and clear codes w/o paying someone to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/...etooth&_sacat=0
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by boostftw
If you own a Android smartphone or tablet a wireless bluetooth adapter for obd2 scanner is a must have! It will allow you to scan codes and clear codes w/o paying someone to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/...etooth&_sacat=0

I have an OBDII scanner, that is not the problem. I am trying to determine if there is a problem or not.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM

well the CEL doesnt just come on for the hell of it...theres some kind of issue going on
Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would still go through with the new O2 sensor. Keep the old one in there. If it comes back again change it.

Remember best to change them in pairs.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
well the CEL doesnt just come on for the hell of it...theres some kind of issue going on

That is why i was asking if it could have something to do with the inspection station and not the actual o2 sensor.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Originally Posted by S2KIrishman' timestamp='1339626380' post='21779630

That is why i was asking if it could have something to do with the inspection station and not the actual o2 sensor.

im not entirely sure how NJ does their state inspections, but in VA they dont do anything that would cause a CEL to come on...at least they shouldnt
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2003AP1
I would still go through with the new O2 sensor. Keep the old one in there. If it comes back again change it.

Remember best to change them in pairs.

Thanks for the advice. If it comes on back on i will replace both sensors - do you have any suggestions for o2 sensor brand? Ideally i would like to buy OEM vs some aftermarket company but the price difference is ridiculous - OEM is about $200

Quick Reply: Can the State inspection Station Mess up my ECU?