S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can not having bypass valve on AEM INTAKE cause air pump to seize? Check engine light

Old 05-13-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can not having bypass valve on AEM INTAKE cause air pump to seize? Check engine light

Hi, first time logging on.

I have 2002 Suzuka Blue with AEM intake.
Check engine light came on so I went to the dealer and they told me because i don't hav the by-pass valve on my AEM INTAKE water(moisture) cause the AIRPUMP to seize.

I got an estimate of $800 bucks to repair

The computer code says the secondary air injector is bad.

Does anyone have this kinda problem?
Thjanks
Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 PM

I went to my friend's shop and they cleared the code so the CEL won't stay lit. Do u think the CEL will come back on?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First of all, those air injector pumps have been known on occasion to malfunction on completely stock cars. Second, any time you install an aftermarket intake like the AEM, there is a distinct possibility that either the vacuum lines have been put back on in the wrong order or that little white check valve was installed backwards. Now, wrong vacuum hoses will cause a CEL almost immediately. A backwards check valve can take a little longer. I think your CEL will come back.
Have a look at this thread and trace your lines and check valve:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=105368
Just in case, make sure the CEL light isn't from a loose gas cap by coincidence.
As for the pump going because there is no check valve, I think that's just the dealer "copping out". Granted, the possibility is there, but very remote. If your engine is sucking that much water that far up into the intake pipe, your engine would have seized by now. Have you left your car out in the pouring rain since putting on the AEM? This is about the only way that enough water can get into the intake to do any harm. Water "vapour" going up the intake would be no different than in any stock intake.
Unfortunately, the fact that you have an intake and something has gone wrong, the dealer has used whatever he can to avoid a free fix.

ps. You don't have to go to your friend's shop to get the CEL cleared, only to read what the code is. If you get a repeat, you can reset the CEL yourself, but I suggest you fix the problem first (the vacuum line and check valve thing):
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=183490
Old 05-13-2004, 01:56 PM

Thank yuou Xviper.

I have had intake for almost 2 years.. and i have 43k on the odometer.
So there is no warranty.
and the Intake was installed by a professionl and never had problems for 2 years.

My friends has this scanner thing ( don't know what it's called.. ) and it said the secondary air injector was bad.

Yes I have driven this car in pouring rain at times..
Old 05-13-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, I understand now. It's not driving in pouring rain that the bad thing. It's leaving it parked in the pouring rain and allowing the water to collect at the end of the intake pipe.
You could still have a problem with the vacuum lines and get the same code. Another local owner recently had the same code on his car. His turned out to be something rubbing against one of the vacuum line tubes and wore a hole in it. This was the metal tubing loom but you get the idea. Trace those lines to make sure they are in good shape and connected solidly.
Of course, you could still have a bad pump, in which case, with no warranty, you're kinda stuck. See if you can get a salvaged unit.