S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can I put transmission fluid back in while the car is on 2 jackstands?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I put transmission fluid back in while the car is on 2 jackstands?

I only have 2 jackstands and I will be changing the trans fluid, can I refill it while only the front of the car is in the air or will the car not being level effect the amount of fluid able to go in? I wouldent want to have too much or too little fluid.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack stands aren't that expensive. Get two more.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4...5&blockType=G5
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...nds-38846.html
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T42002A-...dp/B00026Z3EA/
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's okay. just pump in 2 qts and dont put the filler plug in yet. Put a low drain pan under it and lower the car down. The fluid will drain out until it stops that when its on the right level, then raise it back up and put in the filler plug. The car has to be on a level floor first.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with getting two more jackstands...you want it as level as possible to get the accurate amount of fluid in it...saves the hassle of lowering it and then jacking it back up to check...its going to be just a c@#t hair shy of 2 quarts btw
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM

dun worry, i always used ramps for tranny or diff oil change, they worked out great. personally i read the labels on the oil bottle to control the amount, so no need for two more jacks for me...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Danwolski
I only have 2 jackstands and I will be changing the trans fluid, can I refill it while only the front of the car is in the air or will the car not being level effect the amount of fluid able to go in? I wouldent want to have too much or too little fluid.
I believe someone on s2ki died from the car rolling when it was put on two jackstands.

The safe advise has been to ALWAYS have the car on four jack stands, not just two.

Also shake the car a few times from a few different places before you go under, AND have a backup, like a floorjack under another point of the car, or wheels at the corners, or wood/cement blocks as backups. I'm sure someone will chime in.

(Sorry that doesn't answer your question)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Originally Posted by Danwolski' timestamp='1340836375' post='21816775
I believe someone on s2ki died from the car rolling when it was put on two jackstands.

The safe advise has been to ALWAYS have the car on four jack stands, not just two.

Also shake the car a few times from a few different places before you go under, AND have a backup, like a floorjack under another point of the car, or wheels at the corners, or wood/cement blocks as backups. I'm sure someone will chime in.

(Sorry that doesn't answer your question)

Yes, that was a guy in our area. But the car was on a slanted driveway. There is no problem with it being on two jackstands as long as it's on level ground and you use wheel chocks.

Now....otherwise you guys are making this whole thing way way too difficult. There is another solution to this immense problem.

And, the solution is.......

Put in 1.5 qts.

You're welcome.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is safe practice to have the car on two jack stands. However you should chock the wheels that are on the ground especially if they are the front ones.

In this situation 4 jackstands would be the best bet.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do it with one jack and one jackstand. Jack it up from the front left jacking point as high as you can. Place jackstand under left rear jacking point and lower the car till the jackstand is supporting some of the weight. If the jack fails, the car is so stiff, it will NOT fall on you. The rear jack stand alone will hold that side up. If you don't trust this, lower the jack and see where the car comes to. Chock one wheel on the opposite side.
The correct level is determined when the car is level but knowing what it takes and putting in a bit more (100 to 200cc) and you're good to go. Unlike engine oil, a slight overfill of the tranny and diff is OK. In fact, it has been determined over 10 years ago, that the oil pick up for the tranny fluid pump will not reach the fluid during a hard left hander. A slight overfill will eliminate this issue.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by xviper
You can do it with one jack and one jackstand. Jack it up from the front left jacking point as high as you can. Place jackstand under left rear jacking point and lower the car till the jackstand is supporting some of the weight. If the jack fails, the car is so stiff, it will NOT fall on you. The rear jack stand alone will hold that side up. If you don't trust this, lower the jack and see where the car comes to. Chock one wheel on the opposite side.
The correct level is determined when the car is level but knowing what it takes and putting in a bit more (100 to 200cc) and you're good to go. Unlike engine oil, a slight overfill of the tranny and diff is OK. In fact, it has been determined over 10 years ago, that the oil pick up for the tranny fluid pump will not reach the fluid during a hard left hander. A slight overfill will eliminate this issue.
DO NOT DO THIS. Just get another set of jack stands. Otherwise, other best solution is to choke the rear wheels that aren't lifed and also stick a spare wheel you might have lying around under the rockers.

Quick Reply: Can I put transmission fluid back in while the car is on 2 jackstands?