S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can I install the Hardtop by myself !

Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down can I install the Hardtop by myself !

Hi,

I got the hardtop today morning in a big box.

my question is can I install the hardtop by myself, cuz i checked with Honda Workshop, they told me it will cost at least $520 to install it & two working days

i already got the instructions on Pdf file from handa-accessories.com

need your opinions please

thanks,,
Old 09-15-2004, 12:18 AM

The installation isn't too bad and since you have a 2003, it is less involved than the pre-'02. I would not even consider paying 520 bucks to install the hardware needed to install the hardtop. If you have the tools, you should beable to do it on your own in like 2-3 hours. I plan on installing my hardtop soon and will take step by step pictures for you if you can wait long enough.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:40 AM

I did...but you would be advised to have an extra pair of hands around....your really don't want to be putting it on/taking it off by yourself. Download the directions and see if you think it is something you want to do. The most time consuming thing for me was hammering out the metal for the side catchers(some people choose not to do this_
Old 09-15-2004, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by S2000AD,Sep 15 2004, 01:55 AM
Hi,

I got the hardtop today morning in a big box.

my question is can I install the hardtop by myself, cuz i checked with Honda Workshop, they told me it will cost at least $520 to install it & two working days

i already got the instructions on Pdf file from handa-accessories.com

need your opinions please

thanks,,
I didn't hafta pay for my install cause my salesman told me there was no fee cause there was no install.......
'Course the service department had an absolute fit , they wanted to "compromise"
with me and eat half the install and ONLY charge me 600 dollars. I held fast and repeated my mantra...... "the salesman said no charge and the mississippi rule of agency says that a commision paid "agent's" statements are as binding as if the owner had represented the terms himself".
They told me 2 days minimum........I dropped it off at 7:00am and had it back before lunch.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took my about an hour and a half - see if any folks in your local club can help - putting the actual roof on and off will require two people (it's light but bulky)
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Former Sponsor

$520?!?!?!?!
Took me only about 2hours to do.
As long as you have right tools(pretty much very basic tools to install HT) and instruction, it was piece of cake!!

I think installing Comptech CAI was more challenging.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 AM

when u do, please post pics and snags/issues if you have any. I just got a hardtop and am waiting for the mounting kit (kit A) to come in so I can install it myself. I have a MY00 (which is a longer install) buy any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SolReborn,Sep 15 2004, 08:25 AM
when u do, please post pics and snags/issues if you have any. I just got a hardtop and am waiting for the mounting kit (kit A) to come in so I can install it myself. I have a MY00 (which is a longer install) buy any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
Mine is also a MY'00 and I did the install myself. It took me about 2.5 hours and the last 15 minutes, I needed my wife to help me place the HT on the car so I could finish the adjustments. Just follow those instructions step by step. Don't take short cuts or skip any steps or you'll find yourself "uninstalling" stuff so you can finish the job. Failing to do so will result in a HT that rattles and won't fit properly. There is one step where you need a sturdy metal punch and you beat the crap out of your car. Be patient and don't let the loud noises freak you out. Just be careful you don't hammer on the wrong piece.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 15 2004, 06:34 AM
There is one step where you need a sturdy metal punch and you beat the crap out of your car. Be patient and don't let the loud noises freak you out. Just be careful you don't hammer on the wrong piece.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:32 PM
dut

- you can do it by yourself, but like stated many times, easier if you have someone else help you (just to put the top on)
- btw: it feels good beating your car with a hammer

Quick Reply: can I install the Hardtop by myself !