S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can Alignment to UK Specs Cause Intermittent Shake

Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a tire that was out of round, rare among good tires like S-02. It balanced fine on the machine because its' at a relatively low RPM. The only fix would have been shaving them, but instead just got a different tire.
Also, some shops can balance the tire on the car, and this is more accurate.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if you also get it at around 35mph... give or take. I drove on a smooth road at 31, then 32, then 33, etc up to 40 mph and I get the shake from 36 to 40, and then again at about 73 up to 86 or so. There were a bunch of people in the thread I posted (linked above) that have had the same problem, and many of them have tried wheels and tires to fix it with no luck. If yours didn't start until you got the stock wheels and alignment though, I'd certainly guess that the wheels and tires are the issue. Please let us know if you find a fix because a lot of people are having this very same issue.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by milkbubble,Nov 12 2006, 07:55 PM
OEM rims require ball seat lugs while after market lug nuts have a taper seat. I dont think that would cause vibration but its just a heads up.
I'm betting on this. If the lugs do not completely and securely mate, then I am guessing that it could manifest itself at higher speeds. Be sure you correctly torque the lugs as well. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 AM

I'm not sure why you guys use that setting, we tend to use the 'Prefered' Workshop Manual setting

Handling is sweet.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 13 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm betting on this. If the lugs do not completely and securely mate, then I am guessing that it could manifest itself at higher speeds. Be sure you correctly torque the lugs as well. Good luck.
Very possible I guess.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mytse,Nov 13 2006, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure why you guys use that setting, we tend to use the 'Prefered' Workshop Manual setting

Handling is sweet.
I'll be going back to those "preferred" settings if putting on the OEM lug nuts doesn't work. I wish it would quit raining so I could do it!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 AM

Well, I got around to putting on the OEM lugnuts last night. No change. I checked air pressure this morning as it was 34 deg. outside, and noticed that I am 2 psi. low in three of four tires. The service station's compressor was down, so I couldn't get all four to 32 psi. I'll try that before going back to Discount Tire and have them do a tire/wheel matching balance (some system they have that takes 1-2 hours to complete).

I'll keep you updated. If none of the above works, it's off to reset the alignment. If that doesn't help, I'll just have to buy some HRE wheels!

MAS
Old 11-17-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

S2Kart Posted: Nov 13 2006, 03:21 PM
Also, some shops can balance the tire on the car, and this is more accurate.
That would be an option for the front wheels only.
Do NOT do that on the rear beause it will mess-up the Torsen diff.

The other day I was looking at my set of rear S-02's I have "in stock" and noticed a yellow dot on the sidewall.
It is only painted (?) on 1 sidewall and not in the same spot on the 2 tires.
Do your S-02's have it too?
Maybe the guy at the tireshop knows what it means?
At one point I was thinking that maybe the tire should be mounted in such a way that the yellow dot is close to where the valve is?
Just a thought.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzxroad,Nov 17 2006, 12:15 PM
I'll keep you updated. If none of the above works, it's off to reset the alignment. If that doesn't help, I'll just have to buy some HRE wheels!
Shake does not come from alignment... it comes from rotating parts... and that is what you changed with the new tires. You have a bad tire, wheel, or mounting problem.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 17 2006, 11:32 AM
S2Kart Posted: Nov 13 2006, 03:21 PM

That would be an option for the front wheels only.
Do NOT do that on the rear beause it will mess-up the Torsen diff.

The other day I was looking at my set of rear S-02's I have "in stock" and noticed a yellow dot on the sidewall.
It is only painted (?) on 1 sidewall and not in the same spot on the 2 tires.
Do your S-02's have it too?
Maybe the guy at the tireshop knows what it means?
At one point I was thinking that maybe the tire should be mounted in such a way that the yellow dot is close to where the valve is?
Just a thought.

I called Jim @ The Tire Rack about the yellow dots, as my S-O2s have them, as well. He said that they are indeed there for a "good starting point...lined up with the valve stem" but that they "don't necessarily have to end up there."

He also agreed with Discount's recommendation to put the tires and wheels on the Hunter Road Force balancer to see if there is an out-of-round tire or a damaged wheel. He suggested I check to make sure they ordered the Honda version of the S-02s with a 89W/92W stamped on the sidewalls of the front/rear tires respectively, rather than an N3, which is for Porche OEM.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow...results to follow.

Quick Reply: Can Alignment to UK Specs Cause Intermittent Shake