S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can an alignment have a significant effect

Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can an alignment have a significant effect

i just got my car aligned. wheels weren't really that far out of spec, but the steering wheel was off center, and it was really annoying the heck out of me. anyway, now everything is centered in spec, but the biggest thing i've noticed is that the steering feels much more weighted at all speeds, and much more responsive. i.e. a 10 degree turn of the wheel to either side turns the wheels more than it did pre-alignment. did they do a certain tie-rod adjustment, or did they "tighten" up something else?

the funny thing is that when the finished the alignment the first time, the steering wheel was off-center on the other side, and the steering still felt really light. i took it back and they did some adjustments, and now it feels fantastic. it feels like a totally different car, and you can bet your arse i'm smiling every time i drive it through curves again.

also, if the steering wheel was off center, could you make tie-rod adjustments yourself and fix it by trial and error?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steering feel is primarily affected by alignment changes to caster and toe. I'm willing to bet that the responisveness that you feel is not actually the wheel turning more, but it's more due to less toe in and more feedback coming to you from the wheel.

Stronger self-centering is affected by caster, and better straight line tracking is achieved by toe-in. Also, the centering of the steering wheel is achieved by adjusting the tie rod ends. The technician may have decreased toe-in while centering the steering wheel, making the car more responsive.

If you could post the alignment specifications before and after the readjustment, that would allow a better explanation for the change in handling behavior.

It's best to make tie rod adjustments with access to alignment equipment so that you do not change front toe while making the adjustment. It is possible to center the wheel without equipment by keeping very careful track of the tie rod adjustment on one side, and then making the opposite adjustment on the other side. In practice, this is very difficult to do.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 AM

wow, good info!!!

-Ian
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM

You shouldn't ever really touch your tie rods unless you're on an alignment machine. They try to keep your toe zero'd so you're not scrubbing tires down the road. Like CoralDoc said, they probably added a bit of caster which would give you a heavier steering feel and faster re-centering. Rear toe in also plays a huge roll in keeping the rear tires behind you through the corners.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Caster has the largest impact on steering feel (assuming the others are in spec). Go for as much caster as they can dial in without impacting the camber.