S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Camshaft failure

Old 05-18-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marcucci, i am aware that alot of cams are made from chill cast, or hardened steel. They still need a run in which isnt idle and is roughly 2500rpm.

MXT, a hydrodynamic wedge is basically a ramp of oil infront of the cam as it spins, leaves a layer of oil between lobe and follower so they dont actually touch.

But this doesnt happen on the roller assembly on F20c's
Old 06-27-2004, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nzaizar
Old 06-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, sorry to hear that it went that far. Definitely post pics once you have them. You might PM nzaizar to see if he has any more info. Since this is a pretty old thread, I don't know if he'll check back in over here.

If you purchased your cams from an authorized retailer, you should go back to them and request replacement cams. I doubt they'll do anything about the damage you suffered, but at least you should be able to get a new set of cams (and maybe sell them to cover some of your expenses)?
Old 06-27-2004, 04:33 PM

wow, these toda cams are doing more bad than good.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope your oil filter caught any of the fretting before it did any damage

Thanks for the nice post and follow-up.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:06 AM

There's been one failure in the UK. Toda A2 cams, came parkerised.

The coin in the last picture is a UK 50p peice for scale.

In this failure, it was caught early on - reportedly only 4 or 5 miles after the engine first made any different noises. The cams had been installed for just under 2000 miles. There were no problems with the cam installation - timing, and valve clearances were spot on with the cams making good power from day one. The cams were run in @ 3000rpm.

Two lobes had failed. The shavings appeared to be all caught in head - none were found lower down in the engine. After a change back to Honda valve springs and cams, the engine has reportedly been running fine for several thousand miles... though the owner complains about missing the extra umph from the cams.

There's another UK car running Toda A2's, but they're the later natural finish ones. This car currently has under 400 miles on them. It's planned to keep a close eye on them every 500 miles or so, just in case.

-Brian.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 AM

hmmm maybe these cams aint that great an idea after all...

The fact that i have been told that Toda arn't interested in failures byt the UK distributors- they are deemed a race part and subsequently no warranty is offered.

How many people are running these cams out there with No problems?

thanks

Lowell
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 AM

Toda cams
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by RACER
Toda cams
That's kind of a generic statement. Here's my take on the matter:
1) The cams do make power, as advertised.
2) Yes, the original cams appear to have a tendency to fail. This is bad.
3) Toda obviously realized that there is a problem with the original cam cores and has changed processes. From what they told me, they now use the same core for the S2000 cams that are used for the RSX cams. Hopefully, these cores will be more reliable.
4) Toda's warranty process is a big question mark. Unfortunately, I bought my stuff "grey market" so Toda was not obligated to do jack for me... however, I'm not sure how they will handle cases where the end-user purchased their parts from an authorized retailer. No one here has stated that they've tried to get their cams replaced and been denied.

I liked the performance aspect of the cams, and since Toda updated their manufacturing process, I decided to take a chance on a set of the new cores. I'll be monitoring them closely and hoping for the best. For everyone else interested in buying these cams, I'd say you should weigh the risks against the benefits and make your own choices. For people that have the "old" version of these cams, I'd recommend that they at least monitor the condition of their cams, and maybe speak to Toda about the possibility of getting a replacement set.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:47 AM

toda cams and header are :thumbdown:

Quick Reply: Camshaft failure