S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This came out my transmission

Old 08-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That was common with me too when I first got the car, it seemed like my hand moved faster than my foot as the shifter is so close to your hand's resting position in the S2000 compared to other cars where you have to reach further to shift. Adjusting the clutch free play tighter also helps to improve the timing of the clutch disengagement on shifts, so the clutch disengages a tad bit faster as you push down on the pedal.
I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Try this. Train yourself not to take shift hand off steering until clutch foot hits floor.

Awkward at first. Also takes a long time to cement the habit. But it cures moving lever before clutch fully disengaged, which is cause of most crunchy shifts.
The following 3 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
rpg51 (08-23-2020), Zer0ne (08-22-2020), zeroptzero (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I can't tell if this a synchro issue or an actual gear shear but it appear to me to be an actual gear. For starters, this does not look like brass and it is ferrous as the magnet picked it up.

I know you should "walk" the gears through the paces (no skipping gears) to give the synchros time to come to speed. Does this happen from sub-standard shifting?
Do you mean
* When skipping 4th gear to 5th would sequence like this
- Reach desired speed in 3rd that is capable in 5th. Clutch in, row through 4th, then let out in 5th.
I was also under the impression that should be safe. OR to double clutch into 5th skipping 4th from any desired lower gear like 2 and 3.

@Zer0ne @jaymz What kind of life has those transmissions had, miles, only ragged when warmed up/cold, spirited sessions, track days, autox, duration in between fluid changes, and what fluids?
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by EffWun
@Zer0ne @jaymz What kind of life has those transmissions had, miles, only ragged when warmed up/cold, spirited sessions, track days, autox, duration in between fluid changes, and what fluids?
Thanks.
I drive the hell out of my car (spirited canyon runs, track, empty street/freeway pulls). I always wait until it's up to operating temperature though before doing so and I change the fluids well before recommended intervals. I've been using Honda MTF in the transmission since I bought the car with 28k miles on it (has ~155k now). I get the motor oil analyzed after each oil change, but have never had the transmission/diff fluid done. I'll have a sample of that checked come next fluid change after this. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised she's held up so well through all the fun I've had and hope she continues to do so.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent, driven as intended. Whoa that is 100k+ transmission/diff fluid before you changed it? Hopefully all our cars keep on going.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:13 AM

Excellent, driven as intended. Whoa that is 100k+ transmission/diff fluid before you changed it? Hopefully all our cars keep on going.
No, just saying that the only kind of fluid I've used in it was the Honda MTF. It gets changed every 15k-20k. I hope so too!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:52 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you mean
* When skipping 4th gear to 5th would sequence like this
- Reach desired speed in 3rd that is capable in 5th. Clutch in, row through 4th, then let out in 5th.
I was also under the impression that should be safe. OR to double clutch into 5th skipping 4th from any desired lower gear like 2 and 3.

Thanks.
Honestly I could not tell you how it was treated for the first 95000kms, It failed at approx 126,000kms. I bought it supercharged, converted it to kpro and I definitely engage vtech at least once every time I drive it. I would not say I beat on it though. Don't grind gears. Once since ownership did I intentionally dump the clutch and spin tires.
Changed the MTF with Honda MTF once a year. Now I do wonder how it lived prior to me and also the 4 puck clutch that was in it when I got it was an on/off switch and did that contribute.
All OEM now though.