S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Camber in wearing the inside of tires

Old 06-06-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Camber in wearing the inside of tires

Question

did anyone get their camber fixed through honda successfully? the inside of my tires are worn down pretty bad while the outside is still fresh.

What I want to do is while under warranty fix the camber or toe whatever is out of alignment since its been that way since I bought the car, and have them buy me 2 front tires. I dont see why they shouldnt, when i told them in the beginning they said its ok I wont have any problems. yeah right. But its taking a toll now where i been noticing my car is unstable, more noticeable at high speeds.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah toe owned this first set of S02's, but not to the point of not being able to "flip" them. The insides are now the outsides, and I had the allignment done at a shop that sets up track cars, blah, blah, blah.

So to answer your question, no.

Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM

I don't think I understand, have you asked them to set front camber to 0 and it hasn't helped? Or did they tell you that negative front camber (which will, of course, cause inner wear) was fine for this car? Unlike the Z, I have not heard of any cases where the S front end was prone to camber problems. You want 0 degree with even tire wear, you should be able to get 0 degree with even tire wear. Maybe a different shop would help. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by apex2k
I don't think I understand, have you asked them to set front camber to 0 and it hasn't helped?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:44 PM

This seems like something that can be corrected and they are being lazy about it, I would try a different shop or service department.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by apex2k
This seems like something that can be corrected and they are being lazy about it, I would try a different shop or service department.

Well here is how the story goes, I took my car for inspection to a local shop and the emissions passed which was like the thing that I was expecting not to pass since im supercharged, well i knew it would pass the probabiliyt of this over tires i thought was more likely. But hey it failed safety because of my tires. The outside of the tires are about 5 to 6/32nds in depth which is still good but they failed me because of the inside edges.

So I took it to Honda and my intentions were to get at least one free tire from them and the alignment. The tire/s because i thad told them earlier when I first caught the issue, but they didnt wanna do anything about it. Now the tires were wasted they didnt want to do anything about it either, but I insisted and they did the alignment for free, I bought the tires.

So heres part II

i arrived at the service center at 7am.
It was about 8:30 when they took me in for diagnosis by the time I was done arguing with the manager for just a free alignment was about 9:15: I agreed to buy the tires then. so I had the tires put on by their tire shop which took about 10 min. I had to drive the car there myself for faster service so I did no problem. It was 9:45 when I got back to the dealership from the tire shop. Now the car gets taken into a different shop with a 4-wheel alignment machine. It is now 1pm when I get the car back. 3 hours for alignment.

I get in my car and start driving and the steering wheel is ridiculously off-center. So I turned back around and told the manager to put the car back on the rack this very minute. So he did.

The tech which was a young kid with not even hair on his face, maybe 18 or 19 years old decides to put it back on a lift and adjust the tie rods manually by counting the flats on the rods. He did this 3 times, each time the wheel was worse. You see, he drove the car back to the main shop when he was done and obviously he chose to deliver the car with the wheel off-center.

Finally, he takes it back on the rack in the other shop. Finally comes back at 3:30 saying its all done. 8 hours later I get my car back with bumps along the way. Figures I get a newbie or someone that didnt care. And this is why again I dont like bringing my car to dealerships.

Go Huntington Honda Go!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:59 PM

ok, first off, alignment is a wear item, Honda's warranty specifically does not include it. Second, the cars come with a bad alignment from the factory, this is a given. Mine was horrid. I paid the $80 to have it done. (yes, $80, on a brand new Hunter laser alignment shop by a race shop)

Third, Camber does not wear out tires. Sure, if you run -4 degrees, your tires are going to wear funny but for the most part, tire wear problems are caused by toe.

Anyway, take your car to a shop that knows what they are doing, get the toe zero'd out up front, run 1/8 total toe-in for the rear and you should be fine.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kitwetzler
ok, first off, alignment is a wear item, Honda's warranty specifically does not include it.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:53 PM

*sigh*

if you insist on disagreeing with our advice, why do you even bother asking? I have had 2 s2000s and enough performance cars that I know that camber does not wear tires. I run -1.5 and -2.5 degrees of camber on my car right now and get perfectly even wear. I got heavy wear on the inside front wheels when I ran toe out for better turn in when I AutoX. I run zero toe for track days for better stability. Camber adjustment is a compromise (up to a point, mind you, under -3) between braking and cornering performance. The only reason to run excessive amounts of static camber is to combat a car that doesn't gain adequate camber under roll (which the s2000 does not, given how short the suspension travel is) That's why it's so much more stable with lots of rear camber.

I have 8400 miles on my car which was aligned the day after I got it. If you want to bitch and moan to honda feel free, but don't expect the problem to magically go away.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kitwetzler
*sigh*

if you insist on disagreeing with our advice, why do you even bother asking?

Quick Reply: Camber in wearing the inside of tires