S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Camber maxing out very low?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber maxing out very low?

Any thoughts on what would cause camber to max out exceptionally low? Like, -1.5* on the rear left, -1.3* on rear right, -0.9* on the left front, -0.8* on the front right.

Not sure if it's the people doing my alignment who just don't know what they are doing, but the guy showed me when he was adjusting the rear eccentric bolt how he got to a certain point going up then it started going down.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Caster adjustment in the front will affect your camber also, in the rear I'm not sure if the toe adjustment affects camber

If you're at stock height then those numbers don't seem unreasonable
Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah if the eccentric bolt is at at its apex then you're just not going to get any more. How much camber are you trying to get? If you lower the car you'll get a lot more camber potential. I'm lowered about an inch and a half and my minimum rear camber is over 2 degrees.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Caster will affect both camber and toe up front. Less caster, more static camber, more caster less static camber but more dynamic camber. In the rear Toe should be adjusted by turning the eccentric adjusters in opposite directions first, then tightening the toe arm, then using the camber adjuster to dial in rear camber. This can affect max camber in the rear, but another thing that can affect that is seized bushings.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
Caster adjustment in the front will affect your camber also, in the rear I'm not sure if the toe adjustment affects camber

If you're at stock height then those numbers don't seem unreasonable
Lowered 1/2". Front caster is 5.8*, just barely within spec (low end of spec according to the sheet printout is 5.8). Rear toe they were able to get pretty much right in spec.

Originally Posted by freetors
Yeah if the eccentric bolt is at at its apex then you're just not going to get any more. How much camber are you trying to get? If you lower the car you'll get a lot more camber potential. I'm lowered about an inch and a half and my minimum rear camber is over 2 degrees.
I'm lowered 1/2", and my max rear camber is 1.5 degrees on the left, and 1.3 degrees on the right. Ideally I'd like them to be even, and consider 2 for when I start doing tracking. From everything I've seen and read, at stock height we should generally max out at 2.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Caster will affect both camber and toe up front. Less caster, more static camber, more caster less static camber but more dynamic camber. In the rear Toe should be adjusted by turning the eccentric adjusters in opposite directions first, then tightening the toe arm, then using the camber adjuster to dial in rear camber. This can affect max camber in the rear, but another thing that can affect that is seized bushings.
As mentioned in reply to afzan, caster was at the low end of in spec. I don't think any of the bushings are seized up, as best I can see. I'll probably have to go somewhere else that might have some more S2000 specific knowledge for the alignment.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 AM

One way to know, is if you can remove the adjuster bolt. Also, alignment racks have to be calibrated from time to time. I've seen different places, give different readings for the same alignment.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
One way to know, is if you can remove the adjuster bolt. Also, alignment racks have to be calibrated from time to time. I've seen different places, give different readings for the same alignment.
Yeah, a friend of mine got his alignment done at a place close to me, and they were able to get his on spec, even with an aggressive alignment and being lower than myself. I'll probably head over to there.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Wait...which way are you trying to go with the camber adjustment? Do you want to go further negative? Or are you trying for 0 camber or positive camber?
Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Maybe the alignment guy was confused if you used the terms "max" and "exceptionally low", and "negative" all in the same sentence.

Max is high. Low is low. Negative is low. He was probably turning the wrench in circles in confusion
Old 07-31-2015, 02:53 PM

When I paid people to do my alignments I just wrote down on a piece of paper what I wanted, and told them to get as close as they could. Usually worked out.

Quick Reply: Camber maxing out very low?