S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cam Lobe Marks

Old 07-20-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by beefystud
what ? can you speak more on this further ?
If you run a catch can, it should be disconnected and the lines run back like normal if the car is left sitting over the winter, and if driven in the winter you should either do the same or empty it every time you drive it.

The issue is that moisture gets caught in the can too and condensation also happens in the can. So when left sitting, that moisture makes its way back into the valve cover and covers the cams. Over time this causes rust.

Moisture vapor will condensate on the coolest thing in the system. Without a catch can, the hot air moves from the valve cover to the intake and is pulled through the intake system and burned. With a catch can, the can tends to be cooler than the air passing through it, giving the moisture somewhere to condense. So this moisture sits in the can along with the oil that is captured. This allows for extra humidity to pass back into the valve cover when sitting.

This is why running a catch can on a street driven car is not only not needed, but not a wise choice unless you are willing to take the steps above. I never ran one until I needed to (aka started going on track and having the smoke screen issues) because of this.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

To follow this up, @cosmomiller I did get a soft cloth and some engine oil and a little time to the problem and it removed a bunch of deposits, but the metal is definitely pitted underneath - given Billman and Daytona Dave both gave the same prognosis, this is hardly surprising! I've got camshafts on order from Japan, and I'm booked in with Daytona Dave mid August. Before and after pics of the cleaning attached, for others' future reference.

Before cleaning with engine oil & soft cloth

After. You can see the pitting
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 05:06 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Thanks, for the update. Good luck with the swap.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:56 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by beefystud
what ? can you speak more on this further ?
Hot oil goes in and is allowed to cool. Moisture builds up and is introduced back into the engine.

Generally speaking, don't install something aftermarket if you don't need it. And if you do install it...be ready to maintain it often. Its not an OEM part. You can't just install a catch can and leave it there all year and expect no issues.

A "proper" catch can is coolant heated, sealed, and drains back into the pan immediately.

A $20 home made catch can setup is a water trap.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:05 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

In my opinion, no S2000 needs a catch can. Oil is metals best friend, and you are doing the engine no good by catching the oil. If you are looking to stop smoke on track, stop running your oil at a high level. In the middle of the xxxxx is the proper level.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:18 AM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ation-1133707/

Rain H8R valve cover mod instead of a catch can.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
In my opinion, no S2000 needs a catch can. Oil is metals best friend, and you are doing the engine no good by catching the oil. If you are looking to stop smoke on track, stop running your oil at a high level. In the middle of the xxxxx is the proper level.

Running halfway does reduce the oil slosh out of the breather and PCV (confirmed this a couple weeks ago).

Running at full caused me to have to drain my 2 small catch cans every 20 min session...and they were overflowing by the time I got to it.

However...your point that I've bolded above doesn't quite hold water (oil)? Not running a catch can on a track car doesn't mean the oil is going back to the engine. You're either catching it in the can or sucking it thru the intake. Either way, that oil is gone.

For a car that is tracked, the best solution is the valve cover baffle modifcation first. If you still see slosh, I think running a catch can setup and emtpying it often is key.

Running the oil half way doesn't totally kill the slosh. It just reduces it. You will still get liquid oil in the PCV/breather tubes.

I'm hoping to develop a heated and drained and sealed (vented only to a controlled source) catch can setup. THAT would put the oil back into the pan.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 AM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'm hoping to develop a heated and drained and sealed (vented only to a controlled source) catch can setup. THAT would put the oil back into the pan.
I don't know enough about how this stuff works, but what about an Air-Oil-Separator?
I know this stuff is extremely popular with the Subie crowd.

Both Crawford and Grimmspeed have one. My understanding is that it re-circulates the oil back to the motor. Could this be modified/adapted for use with the F20/22?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I don't know enough about how this stuff works, but what about an Air-Oil-Separator?
I know this stuff is extremely popular with the Subie crowd.

Both Crawford and Grimmspeed have one. My understanding is that it re-circulates the oil back to the motor. Could this be modified/adapted for use with the F20/22?
Inexplicably ruining engines is also popular with the Subaru crowd.

All jabs at those weirdos aside...

Recirculation back to the engine is ideal.

But...you'd need to either weld a bung onto the pan or tap into an oil feed somewhere.

And you'd need coolant lines to wrap the catch can to keep it heated.

And you'd need to recirculate the vent into a spot that is controlled for moisture to some extent (OEM intake?)

And you'd still need more frequent oil changes and frequent checking of the external oil tank itself.

"How come virtually no factory car comes with catch cans" is the question anyone should be asking before installing one.

Its more of a "race" part. Don't put it on unless you want to deal with problems.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ation-1133707/

Rain H8R valve cover mod instead of a catch can.

this is probably the best overall solution.

I was too scared to mod my brand new (hard to get at the time) 06+ valve cover.

So I chose catch cans.