S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cam Chain Auto Tensioner Question

Old 02-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Chain Auto Tensioner Question

Hey everyone-

I went down to lowes, and picked up a pack of M5-.8-50 bolts from their metric bin... I believe these are the same as the 5x.8mm at least 40mm in length that are required by the manual to pull the timing chain auto tensioner. They at least look similar to the threaded portion of the maintenance screw...

I was able to thread the bolt into the maintenance hole no problem. It grabbed the auto tensioner no problem as well. This is my first time removing this, so I want to make sure that some things were normal.... They were not described in the manual at all...

1) When screwing the bolt into the maintenance hole, it got to a point where the bolt would just "spin". I looked down the TCT case, and noticed that what appeared to be the auto tensioner was spinning with it, and was not retracting/compressing.

2) I noticed that there were 2 flat spots on the thing that was spinning in the timing chain case. I put a large flat-head screw driver on it, and applied pressure to prevent it from spinning. After this was done, I noticed that the bolt would get sucked into the maintenance hole further, and after a few spins, I could retract the tensioner with the flat-head.

3) After the auto tensioner was retracted, I tightened the nut down. It took me a few times to get the nut on there correctly without the bolt popping out and the auto tensioner re-engaging.

I am wondering if there is any special voodoo to keeping the bolt "in place" and the auto tensioner compressed, while the tensioner is removed? The bolt always pops out, and the tensioner re-engages whenever I shake the auto tensioner assembly.

I guess I am not too sure what the "locking nut" does on the bolt, as it just holds the bolt from being pulled in further... I am having a problem with the bolt "popping out" and the tensioner re-engaging whenever I try and remove the tensioner assembly, and I have no idea how the "locking nut" idea prevents this, it seems to be preventing the bolt from doing what it needs to do (which is go in, and stay in the block... the nut seems to just be keeping it from going in past a certain point).

Any input would be appreciated. I am going to probably be swearing at it again tomorrow...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty you are going to have to go buy a nut and a washer for the bolt that you just purchased. You are going to need to thread the nut onto the bolt and place the washer on the tensioner side of the nut. You then thread the bolt into the tensioner until it bottems out and just spins and does not go in any further. After that thread the nut and washer towards the tensioner and snug it up pretty well. Then just unbolt the two 10mil bolts and BAM your finished. That nut just released tension so it didnt fly across the garage and saved your chain, chain guides, and tensioner from damage.