S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CAI, ran through puddle, car won't start - Help!!!

Old 05-20-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

I have a cold air intake with no bypass valve and i just ran into a huge section of water and ,my car will not start whats going on what should i do????????
Old 05-21-2004, 05:30 AM

It sounds like you may have hydrolocked your engine! Water doesn't compress like air so your engine might have locked up! Take out your spark plugs and crank your engine! if you see water shooting up crank until no more water is in your intake and cylinders - change your oil as well as some water may have contaminated your engine oil replace new plugs and try to crank. before you do any of this I recommend you do a search for hydrolock and get more information on what to do - I did this once and this method worked for me but I would strongly advise you to get more information.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And a more descriptive title will be useful next time, too.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by mxt_77
And a more descriptive title will be useful next time, too.
Going to fix that now.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will assume that since you didn't post about any nasty grinding/clanking noises, your engine is relatively fine.

Remove the intake and drain any water in the tube/filter...let the filter dry and reoil, as necessary. Have a good look in the intake plenum to make sure there's no water in there...if not, you're probably safe, but do as Nick suggested and watch for water in the cylinders. If there was, change the oil after everything is drained.

Next time, watch out for puddles...deep water and CAIs don't play nicely together.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 PM

thanks everyone i am gettin it looked at right know, i noticed that there is water in the manifold.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:32 PM

check your spark plugs too
Old 05-21-2004, 02:07 PM

I ran through a little water last year in a flash flood, hydrolocked my engine , snapped #4 connecting rod, scored the cylinder and blew 2 holes in the block. It didn't make any noise at all. It just sounded like the car stalled. Good luck! My new engine feels even stronger than the old one though.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:45 PM

If the engine did not hydrolock, it may actually run smoother than before. Depending on how much water got in there, it may have knocked loose some of the carbon buildup in the combustion chambers.

What you can do (but i wouldn't recommend it) on an older, high-mileage engine that may or may not be detonating, is hold the rpm at about 4-5krpm and run the water hose into the intake. Not full blast, but steady. And do NOT let the rpm drop. Stop the water, let the engine run a few seconds longer, then drop back down to idle. If you did it right, you'll here a rattling noise in the exhaust. That's the chunks of carbon being blown out your tailpipe. If you did it wrong, your engine will be dead, you will be screwed, and I will not be held responsible.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
What you can do (but i wouldn't recommend it) on an older, high-mileage engine that may or may not be detonating, is hold the rpm at about 4-5krpm and run the water hose into the intake. Not full blast, but steady. And do NOT let the rpm drop. Stop the water, let the engine run a few seconds longer, then drop back down to idle. If you did it right, you'll here a rattling noise in the exhaust. That's the chunks of carbon being blown out your tailpipe. If you did it wrong, your engine will be dead, you will be screwed, and I will not be held responsible.

I saw a mechanic do that one time in an older 911- just not with a water hose. I almost p****d myself watching but it worked.

Quick Reply: CAI, ran through puddle, car won't start - Help!!!