S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A/C and idling problem

Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C and idling problem

Ok , first off i would like to say that I have been very good about the maintainance of my car. I just did a basic tune-up this past weekend. I was using the a/c in my s today and noticed that everytime i either pushed the clutch in to stop or slow down, the idle in my car would drop really really low, and the engine felt like it was gonna stall, and it shuttered hard . I just changed the oil, filter, air filter, and cleaned the throttle body and intake manifold out. I am also running 94 octane. Everything else as far as my car runs excellent except for my a/c. Could anyone please tell me what might be causing this low idle/stuttering when i slow down? also it seems like it doesn't get that cold in there anymore, even when i'm on the turnpike. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

p.s. would this be covered under warranty, or would it cost me my own cash?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

You really need to post this in UTH, Under The Hood for better exposure.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, i had the same probelm u have to use mopar for ur throttle body and make sure the throttle cable is not loose. make sure you check all ur fluids!!!!!! if u need some help aim me asiantekk hopefully i can help you
Old 06-28-2005, 01:41 PM

I did that already. I keep up on my car as much as possible.
How do I move this to the under the hood section?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:44 PM

did u reset ur ecu as well???? !!??!?!?!?!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:51 PM

How do you do that? I didn't want to disconnect the battery since I do not have the radio codes. Is there a way to reset it without disconnecting the battery? If that doesn't work, what else can I check? I looked at all the lines and hoses to make sure everything was hooked up. I had the stuttering problem before even when I didnt run the a/c. I cleaned out the t/b and it stopped doing it when I wasnt using the a/c, but this is the first time I've used it since. I work in King Of Prussia, by the way.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:59 PM

i believe u can take out ur ecu fuse thats wut i did. i dont have my fuse in my ecu anymore so it just resets everytime i use my car. everytime i start up in idle get a strong 1500 rpm 1 min later just stays at 1. You can call honda get the radio codes thats wut i had to do. but reseting ur ecu should do as well. and u said you used mopar?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Map whack

Tap your map sensor with something. Do a search theres instructions how.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM

here is mapwack for u https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209708
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In case you don't end up posting this in UTH, I'll give you my 2 cents.
What you have described is not uncommon. It happens to me about once a year. For the same reason you need to use your A/C, is the same reason your car is having problems holding idle with the A/C on - your temps are getting hot and humid. Hopefully, the ECU will learn soon and you can go about your business. This may take several episodes for the ECU to realize it has to pick up the idle under certain conditions of throttle position, intake temp, rpm, etc. It's not a situation that your dealer will have an easy time to "fix" as the issue may not be reproducable once they have your car. (Your car may have learned by then and they won't see it happen.)
If you feel you must do "something" (and I don't think you do), then I suggest you do the MAP whack and ECU reset. This "might" help the ECU learn faster but it will still have to learn. You can also check all vacuum hoses on and around your throttle body and intake manifold for tightness and cracks. Have a look inside the throttle plate and see if it's gotten really filthy. If so, consider cleaning it with a rubber safe carb cleaner spray. And if the weather turns and you don't use your A/C for a while, it may do it again. I can only suggest that you be patient and let it stumble without trying to use throttle to keep the revs up. This only makes it harder for it to learn.

Quick Reply: A/C and idling problem