S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A/C cuts on and off

Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C cuts on and off

Hi, I drive an 07 s2k with about 46k miles on the vehicle, its out of warrenty, I've tried the search but keep getting errors with such short words from A/C.

The problem I'm having is the ac will cut on and off while on driving or cruising, the temp is cold if its on but it will not be consistant or stays on.
This is just normal driving , no racing or high reving. I do not have a gauge so i can't test if it has enough freon, and also there is seems to be no window on the condesnor like other models where i can check if the window is foggy then the air might be low, does anyone has this type of problem? the car only has 46k and it shoudn't be having this type of issues.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does that too. the nice thing about it is that when you drive it like you stole it the AC cuts off till your just cruising.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM

LOL had the S for about 7 months now and the only time i've turned the A/C on is when I purchased it to make sure it worked.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM

No the problem that i'm having is i'm just driving it normal and i can feel the moisture from the temp. change. It'll be super cold and will cut off in normal driving mode.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 PM

yeah thats perfectly normal.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Former Moderator

On my 03, the AC shuts off in VTEC.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 AM

its just like the A/C in your home. its not gonna stay on 100% of the time. it kicks on, cools down the air to a certain temp, then kicks off. Its just how the systems work.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM

yeah, mine does the same, it's how it works. One way to fix, Top Down!!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by s2krdstr,May 24 2010, 08:34 PM
LOL had the S for about 7 months now and the only time i've turned the A/C on is when I purchased it to make sure it worked.
It's good to run the A/C for a few minutes every week or so to KEEP it working well. There is oil in the coolant system that keeps parts lubed and seals from drying out.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dapretendr,May 24 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi, I drive an 07 s2k with about 46k miles on the vehicle, its out of warrenty, I've tried the search but keep getting errors with such short words from A/C.

The problem I'm having is the ac will cut on and off while on driving or cruising, the temp is cold if its on but it will not be consistant or stays on.
This is just normal driving , no racing or high reving. I do not have a gauge so i can't test if it has enough freon, and also there is seems to be no window on the condesnor like other models where i can check if the window is foggy then the air might be low, does anyone has this type of problem? the car only has 46k and it shoudn't be having this type of issues.
Obviously the A/C system will be turning on and off to maintain temperature.

However, if it getting too hot before it comes back on (not maintaining temperature well), then there are a few things to check.

If it's getting cold but doing so intermittently, it's probably something electrical. However, it's probably still a good idea to get the coolant checked.

Could be something as simple as the compressor clutch relay beginning to fail or the something more costly like the compressor clutch solenoid. I had the solenoid fail on me (different Honda). For awhile, the A/C would work intermittently, usually when I first started the car. Eventually, I could not get the compressor clutch to engage at all so it was replaced.

There are other cut-offs as well. There is typically a high-temp interlock on the compressor itself, which would cut the A/C off indicating a problem with the compressor.

I'm not an A/C expert, but those are the things I would start looking at based on the symptoms you've highlighted so far.

Quick Reply: A/C cuts on and off