S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A/C cold and hot

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks guys. You are all offering good advice. I've never worked on an A/c system before. I recently picked up a Honda Service Manual, but I'm more of a step-by-step for the complete idiot guy the first time I'm doing something new.

I'm wondering if there are other books on the S that offer me a learning opportunity. I had the original owners Manual, but it has since fallen apart and I couldn't find it if you paid me.

My local dealer wants about $190 to do the evacuation and dye test.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
There's a potential that nothing is wrong. Perfectly functioning systems can have a leak once and awhile given the relatively harsh temperature and pressure changes that go on through an AC system.

If you top it off and over-pressurize, you're doing it wrong. Buy one with a reusable gauge and use it correctly.
Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Thanks guys. You are all offering good advice. I've never worked on an A/c system before. I recently picked up a Honda Service Manual, but I'm more of a step-by-step for the complete idiot guy the first time I'm doing something new.

I'm wondering if there are other books on the S that offer me a learning opportunity. I had the original owners Manual, but it has since fallen apart and I couldn't find it if you paid me.

My local dealer wants about $190 to do the evacuation and dye test.

I agree about the getting the gauge with the assembly. I have been doing my own freon for 30 years on all my cars. California did change the law to make it more difficult and much more expensive (deposit within 3 mo time frame-bastards, so much for the working man pro choice platform). Ca also changed the fittings sizes to force everyone to buy new stuff. Only Ca sold cans will fit new gear. I kept all my old gear but when I travel to other states every now and then I will stock up on cans from Wal Mart. You guys don't have all those complications in the states you live in.

I get a mix of cans with oil and sealer as well as straight cans and sometimes dye. Its rare I use the dye to find a leak (has to be a bad leak) as I find by operating the compressor every few weeks keeps the seals going and prevents problems. Just like a number of posts mentioned, usually you are just a little low and a top off is in order. There is a pressure switch in the compressor that needs a certain amount of freon (R 134) to close the switch and allow it to operate. As also mentioned, it cycles on and off. If you are charging an empty system and the compressor is not working, give it a moment to fill some freon in the system.

I personally like the trigger applicator with built in pressure gauge. (Good old Wal Mart with Harbor Freight for repair stuff has all you need) You can easily see how much is in the system so you don't overfill. If you do overfill (tough to do with newer stuff-trigger pull is dead mans switch) with the fill can still attached, the can bottom will blow out saving the car system. You need to find the low pressure intake (there is another one (HP) that looks similar but should not fit the hose.
I have yet to fill the S and my 04 MDX is tighter than a drum. All my current Fords/Mercury need a top off once or twice a year. (one can) Be sure to occasionally rotate can as you fill. The can will get pretty cold. I usually have two cars available when I top one off in case one does not need a full can. I then expend the remaining contents into the other car. The reason is the can will slowly deplete once opened even with the applicator hose off. Use it or loose it. Plus, if you are concerned, its better for the environment, less freon into the atmosphere. I am more concerned about using every bit I can.

Buy the gear, you will use it for a long time and will save $ from the dealer. You can spend a little more and get some professional quality gear on line or in a shop of your choice. Plus, when you need to fill you don't have to wait for the car at a shop. I can do a top off in 5 minutes. I have actually headed down the driveway, realized it was not getting cold enough for me, turned around and topped it off with the motor still running. Boom!