S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bypassing Coolant from TB and IACV

Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypassing Coolant from TB and IACV

Continuing from a previous thread I had an idea to bypass the IACV and throttle body coolant lines. Now as far as I am concerned I see no ill effects from doing this if you live in a place that has a low chance of freezing. I live in Texas and we are lucky if it freezes over. The purpose for these lines being there is to keep these components warm to avoid icing over and being stranded, also for emissions purposes to help warm the cat. I seen the threads where some put ball bearings in to stop the coolant flow, but I would like these lines to be off my car if they serve no purpose. Another mentioned you could be blocking off part of the coolant passage to the head. Not 100% sure how the coolant is routed but for my purpose it doesnt matter.
Here is one of the feeds for the coolant line

Here is the other. The idea is to make these lines meet. Problem being is the line in the previous picture is not long enough to reach. So..

I did it the right way by cutting a new line of hose! Ok I lied.. I extended it using a brass coupler and used one of the lines that went into the IACV.

Then for the sake of making it look like the hoses came off randomly, I threw on some caps. Aesthetics pretty much. Heres the finished result.

Ran it for a while to check for leaks and no leaks. Havent done an extended road test so cant say this is reliable, but I really dont see any issues. After so many years of this car being around is there a specific reason why someone hasnt done came up with this already? Worries me because its incredibly simple to do and might have some gains. This is being done ontop of having hondatas intake manifold gasket installed. Someone tell me how I am wrong and the better way of doing this lol.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

simple, cuz i didnt own one yet! schweet!

going to rig it up on my car tomorrow.

also, i've driven several cars in below 0 temps with nether being heated. our cars are fi not carb'd icing isnt really a problem. and if you have, ICE in your intake, your prob screwed anyway.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Yeah true lol, hope this helps you out man! Does this answer your question? Haha.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM

First, nice work here Brandon. Quick question though.

While you were doing this, did you pinch the lines at all to prevent fluid loss or was it pretty minimal?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 PM

Nah it was pretty minimal, if you have a showroom quality engine bay then yes. Otherwise it will be fine, was actually less than I expected
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Photos?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 AM

The line that you coupled together, where does it travel to/from?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 AM

The first two pics go over that. Run line from picture 1 to the fitting on picture two, circled and arrowed. The way it was setup was it was going from the IACV to the TB to the head. Now its running from where its suppose to go into the IACV straight to the head. The actually line that is coupled is the top line that goes into the IACV, I recycled it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

For those that don't have the insulating gasket, bypassing or blocking coolant to the IM might not be a good idea. I'm wondering if with a normal gasket the IM might get hot enough that the hot coolant is actually reducing heat in IM? If that is really the case, and I'm not sure at all if it is, bypassing would be a bad idea, if you don't have the insulating gasket.

The OP has the insulating gasket, so I can't see any issue with this mod for his car.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Well this mod doesnt block the intake manifold coolant, just the throttle body and IACV. Its not blocking off anything, just bypassing. Unlike what the ball bearing trick does. The throttle body and IACV have their own seperate cooling channels as far as I can tell. And now that I think about, does the coolant come from the line with the bleeder valve on picture two? Would make sense that the coolant needs to be warm/hot rather then just coming straight from the radiator. Plus from what I can tell the hose from pic 2 comes from the lower radiator hose.

Quick Reply: Bypassing Coolant from TB and IACV