S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buzzing/Grinding TSB 00054

Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing/Grinding TSB 00054

Hi everyone,

I just bought a MY00 S2K lastnight.. after watching all of you talk about how great your cars are I finally gave in and bought one. I got it from a Private Party but it is still under a 7/yr 75,000 mile HondaCare warranty. (it is actually 75K.. not 100K)

So anyway, I noticed today that when I am decelerating in any gear there is a strong buzzing/grinding coming from the engine bay. Of course, if i shift into neutral it stops. It sounds almost like a shuddering coming from the clutch or something. I have heard some rumors about a TSB (#00054) concerning this issue.

Does anyone know what the report consists of and what the solution is? I dont mind the noise all that much... I am just worried that with the noise will become a future problem. I checked and this issue has not led to a recall so I know I can't get it, whatever the problem is, fixed through that method. Do any of you think the warranty will cover it?

Also note... the car has no modifications besides slightly tinted windows. (which OBVISIOULY has nothing to do with the noise.. 'just for those wise asses')
Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 AM

yes get a 03 clutch it will stop the buzzing by the way congratz on the car
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No failure is predicted by the deceleration noise, it is simply an unwanted harmonic. The fix is to reduce it by replacing the friction disk which is an expensive repair. Some have been covered by warranty and I would ask for it but would not count on getting it approved as the clutch is considered a wear item.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 AM

Are you sure that the buzzing problem from the clutch does not cause any problems?

It feels pretty rough at times. I went to Honda and they recommend that I replace the clutch. So I will be spending $1500 soon.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:15 AM

Yeah, of course they'll recommend you replace the clutch. They also probably saw $ in place of your head.

If you're really worried, have a TRUSTY mechanic check it out. I haven't heard of anyone's clutch going out due to this.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 PM

cool.. i guess i will check out the local honda dealer and see if i can get them to take care of it under the warranty. it seems pretty doubtful but shit.. isn't that what the warranty is for??

if they even pull the "it's normal wear" line i'm going to be pissed. i've heard about this problem with just about all of the MY00 S2K's. we shall see though.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Where you located?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

It a noise, thats it.

If you want the noise reduced, you'll need a new clutch disc installed.
The Clutch otherwise functions fine, unless it's been slipped to hell and back and no longer has any friction material left on the disc.

Only the 00-01 cars had this issue, all of which are out of the 3 year/36k warranty. If Honda does cover anything under warranty, I'd be as polite as possible and thank them repeatedly.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Anyone know the part number of the clutch disc? Thanks.

Oh yeah. I called the Honda service department (got the number from the Honda.com website). They did confirm that the clutch should not be damaged in any way from the buzz. The stated the sound is strictly an annoyance and if you want to fix it, replace the CLUTCH DISC. Do not let a service place try to replace your entire clutch assembly, like a certain place tried with me.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 PM

I have the same problem with my ''00 s2k......it took it to the dealer and they told me that that sound was normal in those model's....but now when i change from 1st 2nd or any gear.. and accelerate a little more before let go the clutch, i don't have a quick response from the engine until 2 or 3 seconds later...don't know why maybe the clutch is all screwup...

Do i have to replace the clutch disc for a new one of the same year or one from the '03 model?????

Quick Reply: Buzzing/Grinding TSB 00054