S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buzz/rattling When Engine Braking

Old 07-24-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, My car buzzes and rattles like a '71 Pinto...aftermarket exhaust helps...
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 AM

I had the same problem with my '01 and took it to the dealer. (I also had some issues shifting in to 2nd and 3rd gear). I knew there was a TSB on it, but I chose not to say anything, just to see what their response was. They concluded something was wrong, although they didn't mention any known problem or TSB. Here is what was fixed, per the invoice:

"Synchros faulty. Removed trans and replaced 1-2 synchro set, 3-4 synchro set, 5-6 synchro set. Also replace 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear due to wear beyond spec. Reinstalled trans with updated clutch assembly."

After they were done, the buzz was gone (and shifting was a little smoother)! (Of course, for all that work, I should hope so). This was all covered under warranty and I didn't even have to ask real nice. I bought my car in April 01 and got this service in March 04, so I made it in under the gun. If your car is still covered, I would give it a shot. If a dealer gives you a hard time, try another one. Keep in mind, this is NOT a problem with the clutch plate (which IS a wear item and will not be covered), but a problem with the clutch assembly not holding all the bits solidly together (thus giving you a rattle/buzz). When talking to the dealer, do NOT mention the word "clutch" and play dumb (at first, anyway). Tell them the "transmission" buzzes when decelerating in gear. Saying "clutch" just gives them an easy way to blow you off. If they take the transmission out at all, they might as well fix the clutch, so it helped that I also had shifting issues.

Hope this helps and you get it fixed. I have been much happier with my car since I got it fixed.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealership replaced the clutch in my MY 2000 car under the TSB at 35k miles (while still under the time limit for the warrantee). All I had to do was take their mechanic for a ride around the block and he immediately acknowledged the problem. The disc replacement completely fixed the problem and the buzz did not return for the 10k more miles that I drove the car.

Ask, and hope for the best.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mrcln1,Jul 21 2004, 06:22 PM
I bought my 01 in May with 12,300 miles from a honda dealer. It was Honda Certified and has the Honda Certified warranty. I have the clutch buzz issue. From your experiences will they cover it?

Thanks,

Mrcln1
I have a 2000 model that I bought in Jan 04 with 12,600 mi. It was a Certified Used Honda that had a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty + 7yr/75k mi powertrain warranty from date of original purchase.

I got the clutch TSB repair fully covered, but only after a complaint to Honda North America Customer Service. In fact, it's at the dealer right now getting the new clutch assesmbly.

When I initially took my car to my dealer, they explained that the problem would have been covered under the factory warranty. But they said that the Honda Certified Used "Warranty" is not really a warranty, but rather a Honda Care service contract. I called Honda Customer service to explain my situation and what the dealer's service dept had told me about the Honda Certified Used "Warranty". I explained that when I bought the car, it was marketed to me as having a 1 year bumper to bumper "warranty", not some 3rd party service contract. They were sympathetic to my case because my car only had 15,000mi and was only out of warranty by age, this is my third Honda vehicle in a row, and I have had all 3 serviced at this same Honda dealer for the past 8 years. Honda Customer Service worked with the dealer and the dealer agreed to eat the cost and do it as a goodwill repair. It's around a $1000 job to get the clutch replaced at a Honda dealer otherwise...

But the bottom line is, no, it's apparently not covered under the Honda Care warranty program nor the Honda Certified Used Warranty, which is actually the same 3rd party service contract as Honda Care is.

Andrew