S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buying A Used Engine

Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those compression numbers are really low, but you think with compression that low, oil consumption would be really high? If it didn't drink much oil, maybe all it needs is a head ? Just thinking out loud a little...

How many miles on current engine?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

impulse21 has a point if the valves got tight and where run a long time like that you could have burnt exhaust valves leakdown test will tell you where the air is going
Old 09-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by impulse21
Those compression numbers are really low, but you think with compression that low, oil consumption would be really high? If it didn't drink much oil, maybe all it needs is a head ? Just thinking out loud a little...

How many miles on current engine?
125,000 miles on current engine. He did a leak down test and checked the cylinder walls with a borescope. Ive had 3 different shops including Honda do a compression test. All 3 places came back with different number but where all lower than normal. I have not been burning through oil, so that is a good point.

Question, if I do the engine replacement, what happens with the old engine? I would assume it would be mine to do what i want with it, is it worth anything? Any parts that can be removed and sold as used? Or too old to even worry about it
Old 09-28-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

They keep it unless you make arrangements to pick it up. If it doesn't burn oil, chances are it's a head issue, you could potentially sell the bottom end if it's in good shape for around $800-1,200 depending on the condition. Probably be able to sell the trashed head for around $2-300, or part it out for about $500 if the only thing wrong with it is valves/seats/guides/seals. I know plenty of people that will pay for good rocker arms seeing as they're $230 new from Honda and the car has 8 of them, and cam caps are rare to find, so those items would be pretty easy to sell. Then there's the valve cover, sensors, coil packs, cam gears, cams, cam wheel, vtec solenoid, and timing chain tensioner.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
They keep it unless you make arrangements to pick it up. If it doesn't burn oil, chances are it's a head issue, you could potentially sell the bottom end if it's in good shape for around $800-1,200 depending on the condition. Probably be able to sell the trashed head for around $2-300, or part it out for about $500 if the only thing wrong with it is valves/seats/guides/seals. I know plenty of people that will pay for good rocker arms seeing as they're $230 new from Honda and the car has 8 of them, and cam caps are rare to find, so those items would be pretty easy to sell. Then there's the valve cover, sensors, coil packs, cam gears, cams, cam wheel, vtec solenoid, and timing chain tensioner.
He said bottom end was not in good condition, thanks for the info on all the other parts. This is great information, I appreciate it!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

You can trust john at LHT 100%. I've had numerous work done there from axles to engine swaps - each time he goes above and beyond. And yes, unless you worked in a core charge, you keep the engine. He helped me put an engine in the back of a Civic I had swapped out
Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Just throwing this out there, dunno if you're trying to save some $$ because I was in the same boat and LHT was a little too much for me, but I purchased my motor from TAE in Tampa, you can go there and inspect the motor before purchase, 3 month warranty. Been a year for me now and haven't had any problems, got to keep the old engine too which made some extra cash
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
Just throwing this out there, dunno if you're trying to save some $$ because I was in the same boat and LHT was a little too much for me, but I purchased my motor from TAE in Tampa, you can go there and inspect the motor before purchase, 3 month warranty. Been a year for me now and haven't had any problems, got to keep the old engine too which made some extra cash
All very true, lht is expensive but worth it. There was another shop in north tampa which was good but can't remember the name.