S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buying Ap1 Need help/advice!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Ap1 Need help/advice!

Hey everyone. I decided to buy a ap1 instead of a ap2 mainly to save money at the cost of the car. My only concern is the valve retainers I read about on these forums. Can anyone provide me with a list of all the parts I need for the valve retainer upgrade along with total costs of the upgrade? And also where to buy them from? Any other upgrades I need to do on an ap1?
I would be doing the work myself with the help of a mechanic.

Should I upgrade intake side with ap2 retainers and exhaust side with ap1 retainers? Do I need to buy keepers or springs?
Is the oil banjo bolt upgrade necessary for only daily driving?

I'll be looking at a 02 silver with 52k miles. Red interior!

Thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aliminator
Hey everyone. I decided to buy a ap1 instead of a ap2 mainly to save money at the cost of the car. My only concern is the valve retainers I read about on these forums. Can anyone provide me with a list of all the parts I need for the valve retainer upgrade along with total costs of the upgrade? And also where to buy them from? Any other upgrades I need to do on an ap1?

Should I upgrade intake side with ap2 retainers and exhaust side with ap1 retainers? Do I need to buy keepers or springs?

Thanks in advance
You will hate the ap1 if you are only getting it because its cheap. You seem like an AP2 guy.

S2000s only depreciate with mileage. The age doesn't matter. Get a newer car 04+. My 02 ap1 with red interior is worth more now with 60k miles than it was when i bought it last year with 50k.

And then you have gems like this

Get an AP2. They are a little harder to crash also.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know the retainers will only go bad if you downshift and it gets over 9k. Unless you are driving it that hard I wouldent worry about it.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ipopvtec
Originally Posted by Aliminator' timestamp='1338167829' post='21733849

Thanks in advance
You will hate the ap1 if you are only getting it because its cheap. You seem like an AP2 guy.

S2000s only depreciate with mileage. The age doesn't matter. Get a newer car 04+. My 02 ap1 with red interior is worth more now with 60k miles than it was when i bought it last year with 50k.

ok, first, how can you tell what model this person will like or not? that makes absolutely no sense based on what was posted...second, you said s2000's depreciate with mileage and then you went on to state that your car is worth more now with more miles on it than it was with lower mileage, that also makes absolutely no sense, given your statement...third, AP2's are harder to crash? are you retarded? anyone can crash anything if theyre not used to the car so thats kind of a bogus statement...OP, get what you want and just take the time to get used to the car and the retainer thing is only an issue if there was a mechanical over-rev...inspect the retainers, and if they check out good, i wouldnt worry about it...i have an AP1 with almost 98,000 miles on it on the original retainers and i drive very hard, i just have never over-reved the car...good luck
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
Originally Posted by ipopvtec' timestamp='1338326571' post='21737950
[quote name='Aliminator' timestamp='1338167829' post='21733849']

Thanks in advance

ok, first, how can you tell what model this person will like or not? that makes absolutely no sense based on what was posted...second, you said s2000's depreciate with mileage and then you went on to state that your car is worth more now with more miles on it than it was with lower mileage, that also makes absolutely no sense, given your statement...third, AP2's are harder to crash? are you retarded? anyone can crash anything if theyre not used to the car so thats kind of a bogus statement...OP, get what you want and just take the time to get used to the car and the retainer thing is only an issue if there was a mechanical over-rev...inspect the retainers, and if they check out good, i wouldnt worry about it...i have an AP1 with almost 98,000 miles on it on the original retainers and i drive very hard, i just have never over-reved the car...good luck
[/quote]
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't be driving the car hard. I thought I would be fine leaving them but who knows how the previous owner drove. I figured if I had everything taken apart, mine as well do the upgrade. Thanks for reply, exactly what I was looking for.
Also anyone know of a good S mechanic in San Diego?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Do a search on how to inspect the retainers for cracks. It's easy. If they pass visual inspection, leave them in, I say (@148k miles, 22+ track days, not a problem).
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM

I have searched it and some people say you can visually inspect them by just removing the valve cover, others say you have to actually remove them in order to see if there are cracks on the underside so I was unsure.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
Originally Posted by ipopvtec' timestamp='1338326571' post='21737950
[quote name='Aliminator' timestamp='1338167829' post='21733849']

Thanks in advance

[/quote]

lol
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Hey thanks guys, I picked up a GPW Ap1 black/red interior. I'm going to have the retainers upgraded to the AP2 retainers since I need my valves adjusted and will have the V-cover off and for the peace of mind. Who knew how the previous owners drove this car.