S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burning too much oil?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Feb 8 2007, 09:37 AM
First off, its 'Mobil', not "Mobile". We aren't talking about mobile homes here.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Up until we bought our Miata in 1991 I had used nothing but Castrol GTX in my cars. Then I let somebody convince me that "modern synthetics" were superior to the stuff I'd been using, so I tried M1 in the MX5. I didn't keep it in the car long enough to see if it affected oil usage, because the stuff leaked all over the place. The MX5 gaskets just didn't hold the stuff in for some reason.

I didn't try the stuff again until 2004 when we got the S2000, and in the Honda the stuff has been fine. I rarely have to add any oil between changes (3000 mile change interval). I'll have a UOA to post after the next oil change (due soon).

Didn't UL do some UOA's with M1?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 8 2007, 02:09 PM
Up until we bought our Miata in 1991 I had used nothing but Castrol GTX in my cars. Then I let somebody convince me that "modern synthetics" were superior to the stuff I'd been using, so I tried M1 in the MX5. I didn't keep it in the car long enough to see if it affected oil usage, because the stuff leaked all over the place. The MX5 gaskets just didn't hold the stuff in for some reason.

I didn't try the stuff again until 2004 when we got the S2000, and in the Honda the stuff has been fine. I rarely have to add any oil between changes (3000 mile change interval). I'll have a UOA to post after the next oil change (due soon).

Didn't UL do some UOA's with M1?
What happens a lot of the time is the dino oil forms sludge where it starts to leak and then the synthetic with its superior detergent package cleans the sludge out of the crevice and it leaks.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 8 2007, 05:54 PM
What happens a lot of the time is the dino oil forms sludge where it starts to leak and then the synthetic with its superior detergent package cleans the sludge out of the crevice and it leaks.
Certainly that could happen, but in this case the car was brand new (second oil change, and I change at 3,000 mile intervals), so I doubt there was any sludge buildup. LOL, maybe the car needed a little sludge to seal the gaskets?

BTW, I'm still running GTX in the car (the Miata) and it still doesn't leak a drop or use any oil between changes.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 8 2007, 05:49 PM
Certainly that could happen, but in this case the car was brand new (second oil change, and I change at 3,000 mile intervals), so I doubt there was any sludge buildup. LOL, maybe the car needed a little sludge to seal the gaskets?

BTW, I'm still running GTX in the car (the Miata) and it still doesn't leak a drop or use any oil between changes.
In that case that is very odd. I have never had mobil 1 do that. Not in my 5.0 with cork gaskets or with my WS6 with whatever space age crap it has.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 8 2007, 09:06 PM
In that case that is very odd. I have never had mobil 1 do that. Not in my 5.0 with cork gaskets or with my WS6 with whatever space age crap it has.
Yea, it was odd. Scared me away from synthetics for over a decade. We're running M1 in both the S2k and the Benz now, and neither car leaks nor has excessive oil consumption.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by N/Apower,Feb 8 2007, 12:08 PM
Your volitility really is not an issue. Look at dino oils. They have A LOT LOWER NOACK scores...no burnoff issues in LS1's with those (I keep using LS1's because I know them, not F20/22C's).
How do you know dino oils don't have burnoff issues in LS1s? You're once again stating something as fact, using only your experience with LS1s. How this even remotely begins to relate to the OPs issues with his S2000 is beyond me. I think you're on the wrong forums here?
Here is a perfect example of an issue caused using Mobil 1.

A member on LS1tech.com suffered 1qt/1500 mile oil consumption. 5-30 M1 was used.
Again, so what? I know this is a public forums and it'd be great if you were actually offering some decent input here but this is a completely different car you're talking about. Are you assuming that an F20/F22 would react the same way to M1 5-30? It won't, the UOAs will look completely different. The guy that had consumption issues with his LS1 has zero bearing to the OPs consumption on his S2000.
Another question I would like to ask. If Mobile 1 has issues with burnoff/not protecting/lubing well, why does F1 use it? Thats a lot more heat than you will ever see.
Get a clue. F1 uses straight 5-10 weight oils. As slipstream444 said, they're custom built for the exact usage scenarious in F1. The oil can be modified and reformulated for each country/track that the team will race on. They can even change oil before qualifying/before a race. Most teams use different oils for race conditions vs qualifying. This oil is highly specialized and the only thing it has in common with the oil in your crank case is that it might look roughly the same to the naked eye. Beyond that, it's so unique that it has little to do with retail products produced by Mobil.

If you saw a logo for 3in1 oil on an F1 car would you put that in your engine?

The short skirt just allows piston rock and the low-tension rings keep it in a bit less check.
Sounds like a design flaw to me. But don't take my word for it.

Don't get me wrong here, I know some of my posts are to the point (I tell it like it is). I think it's great that you've found S2ki, it's a pretty good source for information. But everything you've posted so far has to do with your experience and/or opinions on cars that are unrelated to what this forum is about. It doesn't help anyone with an S2000 to read about experience xyz that you had with your Trans Am. See where I'm coming from? It'd be like me making a comparison on my S2000 with your Trans Am and expecting to see similar results.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 PM

I am only stating that oil burn-off is not an issue. Viscosity is.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?ac...d=si&img=152524

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?ac...d=si&img=154129

(fuel dilution and 20-weight viscosity...also slightly lower flash pnt. due to fuel)

http://bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html
Note how m1 stacks up...barely a 30-weight in the beginning.

350z's suck 30-weight m1 as well.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM

It's not entirely true that experience with other vehicles is inapplicable to the S2000. We all started out with nothing more than non-S2000 experience, and many (if not most) of us are still learning. N/Apower clearly stated his experience and put that experience up for examination. It should be possible to correct his errors without making it seem as if he'd done something wrong.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=RED MX5,Feb 9 2007, 01:42 PM] It's not entirely true that experience with other vehicles is inapplicable to the S2000.

Quick Reply: Burning too much oil?