S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burning smell

Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell

i'm getting a burning smell from the drivers side rear brake caliper . . . and my abs light is on
I'm thinking maybe the slide in there is jammed? anyone know a lot about the ABS system?

Thanks for the help!

UPDATE: took the car to the dealer, they said that both my rear calipers need to be replaced, that my diff is locking up, and that i need new rear axles . . .

1. If my diff was locking up, how was i able to even drive the car?
2. If both calipers need to be replaced, why was just the one getting hot, and why aren't my rotors warped?
3. The rear driveshafts were just replaced, why do I need new axles?

do I just need to replace the one driver's side rear caliper?

I need help!! I don't have $6k

UPDATE: had my mechanic friend call and talk to the tech at the dealership, and then he asked me a few questions

I'm not getting any popping sounds or anything from the rear when i'm backing up, etc. so he thinks my axles are fine.

Only one of the calipers was generating heat and creating the smell, the other one wasn't at all, so he doesn't think I need to replace both calipers, and that I might not even need to replace the one, if i took it apart, regreased the slides, and sanded the pads I should be fine. because the rotors don't appear warped, and i don't get any vibrations while driving or braking.

Also, the car isn't pulling to one side, so he said it should be fine to drive home.

He also said the tech didn't even test the diff right. When he went to turn the wheel while the car was in the air, he didn't hold the driveshaft still . . . so he as turned the wheel and the other didn't move, he assumed my diff was blown.

. . . this seems like another dealer trying to screw me over, but if someone more mechanically inclined than myself could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I can do basic repairs, i can swap out a diff, put on new pads, oill changes, etc. But i'm by no means a master mechanic, so any help I can get is greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM

check the map, or see if it clears up after a good wack
Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM

well, drove like 120 miles today on the highway, and there was no smell afterwords . . . so it seems like the only time the smell shows up is when i'm driving through town, using the clutch a lot at lights, stop signs, etc. . . so i'm leaning towards the clutch now
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 AM

MAP Whack for sure, for the lurching in third problem. But yeh, get your clutch replaced as well, since it is slipping.

If mine slips at all, it drives me nuts (slipping was why I had it replaced the last time).
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the wheels....

MAP for sure.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 AM

By the way, think your clutch smells now? Wait til you get it replaced! Velly velly smelly.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM

haha, yeah, it's still stinkin only when I drive through town . . . so lame. Oh well, time to start clutch shopping
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

smell probably is plastic bag or something on exhaust. clutch will only smell when abused.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 AM

bump, updated first post with new info
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 AM

I had the same burning smell. I checked the temperature of each wheel after a long drive and noticed that one wheel was too hot to touch. Jacked the car up, rotated the wheel and noticed that the brake caliper was jammed and virtually causing that wheel to brake the whole way.

For me, I rebuilt the front brakes and was OK to go with no burning smells after.

Quick Reply: Burning smell