S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

burning oil waaay faster than others

Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default burning oil waaay faster than others

so I've always seen people here saying that their ap1s burn SO MUCH OIL!!!. but they talking like 1 quart every 3-4000 miles . well i finally did a check on mine. reset the tripmeter after i did my last oil change and i made sure for a few days checking it repeatedly that my oil level was at the exact point where it should be. finally i began to wait and after 1000 miles exactly my dipstick reads (on the passenger side) to the top of the first X above the L sign and half an X below that on the drivers side. this is significantly more than anyone I've seen here. and another consumption problem has to do with my gas. I'm not too sure how much we're supposed to get to the tank,but i get between 190-200 mies to my tank never passed that. don't know if this is normal.
i don't know my cars maintenance history. so it is possible that my car has never had a valve adjustment or any of those important things done to it

can anyone shed some light on what might be causing these consumption problems and their potential solutions? any help is really appreciated thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vufgew
so I've always seen people here saying that their ap1s burn SO MUCH OIL!!!. but they talking like 1 quart every 3-4000 miles . well i finally did a check on mine. reset the tripmeter after i did my last oil change and i made sure for a few days checking it repeatedly that my oil level was at the exact point where it should be. finally i began to wait and after 1000 miles exactly my dipstick reads (on the passenger side) to the top of the first X above the L sign and half an X below that on the drivers side. this is significantly more than anyone I've seen here. and another consumption problem has to do with my gas. I'm not too sure how much we're supposed to get to the tank,but i get between 190-200 mies to my tank never passed that. don't know if this is normal.
i don't know my cars maintenance history. so it is possible that my car has never had a valve adjustment or any of those important things done to it

can anyone shed some light on what might be causing these consumption problems and their potential solutions? any help is really appreciated thanks
For the gas burning, do some simple maintenance and see if doesn't help. Do things like change the pcv valve (~$20), change spark plugs, and check for any leaks in the exhaust or cat or header. Also a valve adjustment would def. help if the valves are off. Also I would reset the ecu just to try to see if it doesn't help. I had gas burning problems when I went aftermarket exhaust and had a leak between the cat and exhaust.

For the oil problem, I can't offer much help...mine burns a quart ever 3k or so.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM

vufgew, do a search of this forum. There are extensive threads on oil burning here. Other AP1s here burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, especially Mobil 1.

As for your fuel economy. Star tracking it carefully ... divide your miles driven by the gallons used each tankful to come up with your MPGs. Your description of the condition above is far too imprecise to be of much help.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there oil on your spark plugs? If so, have your spark plug tube seals replaced. That stopped my phantom oil "burning"
Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my car burns roughly 2 quarts between oil changes, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how much VTEC is used between. I ran Mobile 1 Ful synthetic for 15K miles and it seems t oburn more than the Castrol non synthetic I am running the last 2 oil changes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to burn about 1 quart of Mobil 1 each 1000 miles of intense street driving and track days. I have since switched to AMSOIL with no other changes to the car and my consumption dropped to 1 quart every 4000 miles.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 AM

on the gas usage, i normally get 200 - 210 miles on a tank, best I have got was on a tank, ALL highway with no traffic, cruising at 70(trying to get the best I could get) and managed 250 on a tank and averaged 24.9 MPG. typically I run 17 to 18 MPG which puts me at 180 - 200 miles on a tank
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal.

My AP1 burns a quart every thousand regardless of the brand.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

For those who burn oil, do you notice the smell?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM

no smell, it is going out the back with the exhaust while driving. I get a bit of soot on the rear bumper but nothing more.

Quick Reply: burning oil waaay faster than others