S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

burning oil

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil

let me start by mentioning i have an 03 with 70k and im buring oil.. i know a lot of AP1 owners face this issue but i burn about a quart every 300 miles.. ive done a compression check and a leakdown test and ive gotten all good numbers nothing out of the ordinary.. wut do u guys think is causing my problem.. o and every once in awhile ill throw out whitish smoke but its not very often
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your first problem is you didn't use the search engine neatly perched at the top of the page. There are literally volumes and volumes you can read on this.

When you have a specific problem you also need to give a lot more specifics - stating your car burns oil at 1 qt per 300 miles is like going to your doctor and stating you urinate more frequently - without any further info.

Specifics like: What brand oil and product line are you using (Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, Castrol Syntec...)? Did you recently change from one oil to another? What weight are you using? Have you ever changed you PCV valve (this is a common fix that you would have found with the search function, could have tried, and then come back)?

And for the love of God... please do all the rest of us on this site that take the time to fully explain things on this site a favor and at least try and use correct spelling - it takes no more than a split second of your time to write "what" instead of "wut".
It shows you're not completely lazy (the first indication would be you didn't search for the answer in the first place) and that our education system was not a complete waste of time.
Otherwise, those that are actually in the know will blow you off because it's not a stretch to assume you're lazy. Why would I waste my time if you aren't willing to give a little of yours. No handouts here - this isn't the current administration.
Please search and come back if the answer is not fully apparent.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM

ouch.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM

well sorry for using "wut" but yah i just changed my pcv valve and i just changed to amsoil 10w30 cause i was burning mobil1 for about 3 oil changes so i thought i might change it up and its still burning. im going to do another oil change next week
Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun2224,Apr 17 2009, 03:47 PM
well sorry for using "wut" but yah i just changed my pcv valve and i just changed to amsoil 10w30 cause i was burning mobil1 for about 3 oil changes so i thought i might change it up and its still burning. im going to do another oil change next week
Thanks for the amplifying info - and it looks like you have searched this issue before.
PLEASE include all of this information along with your question that way I or others don't lecture you on using the search function.

If you just changed oil, give it at least one more change to see the benefits of your new oil. This is because there's still old oil in the mix and any deposits left over will still be there. You should see a progressive improvement in the burn rate. If you don't after the second oil change (giving it about another 1000-2000 miles), recheck the PCV (make sure it rattles when you shake it), and then you may have to look into other possible culprits. If your car had high miles on it, I'd consider valve stem seal leakage as a possible source. Some on this site swear by Krank Vents... I'm not a big fan of the idea for N/A cars, but that might be the next step in low-cost trouble shooting.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM

yah my pcv is fairly new and its covered in oil when i pull it out of the valve cover so its only a few bucks i might just swap it out again or do the supra pcv but yah hopefully the oil change will help it out
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to guess that the Amsoil oil you are using has low 100C viscosity similar to the Mobil1 oil you were using. Assuming that you didn't try the high mileage oil. You might want to try a thicker xw-30 oil like Mobil1 10w-30 High Mileage or Castrol 0w-30 European formula(German Castrol.) Personally I think you should try M1 10w-30 HM. What M1 were you using before switching to Amsoil? Also what Amsoil are you using?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 PM

change pcv valve and switch to amsoil.....helped me...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 AM

i was using mobil 1 10w-30 then went to M1 ectended performance 10-30 after 2 cylces.. and now ive been on amsoil 10w30.. the more expensive one not XL its the one that claims 25k miles drain intervals but i have yet to change it im up to 3k on it
Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 AM

I know I said M1 10w-30 HM, but go ahead and try Valvoline 10w-30 HM it comes in a red bottle and is a synth-blend. There is a full syn silver bottle, but go ahead and try the red bottle 10w-30. It is a little thinner than the M1 HM. What is your normal OCI?

Quick Reply: burning oil