S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burning lots of oil! Dry/wet compression results inside.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerXI
Isn't this the same car with smoke on decel?

I probably have some smoke on decel but never noticed that in particular. Mostly at first WOT then when idling etc occasionally. Now it is frequently in traffic and probably cruising around as well but hard to see that.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I always wondered the condition of your cylinder head. I'm not sure I had smoke all the time, but I had a ton of smoke on decel as well as oil usage. What is your pcv setup consist of? Is it stock? Next time you're out try holding a gear and allowing the engine to rev down to see if you get smoke. If you do, it'll fog the world.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I've tried to see smoke on decal but can't really see any.

Pcv I just have vented to the air right now and a breather filter on the other vc outlet. Capped off intake man. Nipples.

What makes me think it's rings, possibly in addition to stem seals, is the dry/wet numbers and a couple months ago I was 227 across the board give or take 1-2 psi.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is definitely an issue with either or both. I guess it's decision time to see where to go from here.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah most likely a used F22 engine and trans. Might as well upgrade for more power. Since my engine has over 150k not really worth opening up to fix or anything.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Any news on the verdict?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm still driving it. I should be replacing the engine this winter at some point though and will know what it is then. Still drives great and pulls really hard but smokes and burns quite a bit of oil.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I'm still driving it. I should be replacing the engine this winter at some point though and will know what it is then. Still drives great and pulls really hard but smokes and burns quite a bit of oil.
Best of luck to you, I hope its a valvetrain issue; gives you a reason to upgrade the head
Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
When intake manifold was off cylinder 3 I could see oil dripping down the valve stem.
And you still think its the rings? Of course numbers are going to be higher with oil in the cylinders, doesnt matter if its oil, atf etc. You said you tested it a month back and it was 227 across the board give or take? What was the weather like when you tested it? Was the engine at operating temp during both tests, throttle open or closed? I'm not saying you dont know how to do a compression test just trying to see if there were any variables. You yourself said it still runs great. Check it again, it seems this thread is a little old so why not just monitor it, why get into a rush of wanting to replace your motor. You wouldnt believe how much oil can be sucked past bad valve stem seals and or guides. I had a sbc that smoked at idle, and would scare away mosquito's at wot but the compression was perfect.

Just some thoughts....
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Same weather conditions for both tests. Engine same temps and throttle wide open. I'm fairly sure it is both a valve stem seal and rings. Valve stem seals leaking should have that much smoke and oil consumption wot. The way it burns oil in boost seems definitely like rings.
The car does smoke at idle as well which I would imagine would be from seals.
Can't be positive of any of it until the engine is pulled apart but with 157k+ miles on it and upping the boost don't think a new engine would be such a bad idea regardless. Spending a grand to replace the seals, retainers etc doesn't seem worth it for the mileage of the engine and the good chance the rings are leaking anyways.

Even with leaking rings it can still run perfectly fine just with lots of oil consumption and smoke so the fact it runs well wouldn't eliminate that.

Quick Reply: Burning lots of oil! Dry/wet compression results inside.