S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burned Clutch? (Smells) Help!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned Clutch? (Smells) Help!

I let my buddy drive my s2k for a bit, not too far but he couldn't get a hold of shifting, we kind of were jolting a bit but he decided to let me drive after that.
The next day I noticed the burned clutch smell, after a few hours and driving it a few times the smell is kind of going away a bit. The car has 64k miles and I just recently had service on it and nothing was mentioned to me, this is probably the first time it happened to me, I don't know if the clutch got toasted but I didn't notice anything while driving, it still handles the same way. I don't know if i'm being paranoid but what do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 AM

you just learned a valuable lesson my friend. Never let a buddy drive your car, especially something they see as a sports car. Its not theirs so they'll drive the piss out of it just so they can race it around. Remember when you first got it ? Prob took a day or two to get comfortable in it, and another few days before you felt okay revving it to vtec or redline,.. you earned the right to drive it. Put a friend in it, tell them they can drive it and in 5 minutes their ATTEMPTING what took you days to even CONSIDER. Problem 1- he more than likely didnt fully engage or disengage the clutch, its not as forgiving as some cars, 2nd- he more than likely shifted at high rpms at heavy load repeatedly, 3rd- prob had his foot riding the pedal the whole time so he could be quicker shifting, big nono. Im not being mean or rude, but its yours you worked for it, if he wanted to drive it so bad, well then he should work just as hard and get his own. My 2 cents
Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

is the clutch engagement getting closer to the ground? if it is, its time to replace that master cylinder.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM

no, it's still good, i asked honda about it to make sure, they said that if it's not slipping it's still good, i'm probably just getting paranoid but they said that they'll have a tech drive with me for a bit tomorrow to check.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Sorry for barging in on the thread op, but I'm curious what Jack_in_the_Box posted. My clutch engages fairly low to the floor and sometimes feels as if there is only a half inch of clutch engagement feel. Additionally, I sometimes get that "clutch" smell. Does this mean I need a new master cylinder? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Check the fluid , if its black and low then its leaking from somewhere. A high pedal engagement usually means the clutch is wearing out. S2ks have a self adjusting cutch as the disc wears. If it grabs too low my assumption would be air in the line that as you compress the pedal would force the fluid to under pressure do its job, but that doesnt make much sense. I would have it looked at before spending the money, but to be honest it doesnt hurt to do the spoon mod with the larger diameter pushrod and higher capacity cylinder, i bought it and it changed pedal feel and effort worth the $$ to me.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all the help (replies) fellow s2k enthusiasts. After a couple of days of paranoia it has come to an end. A somewhat relieving and humorous conclusion... It ended up being a plastic bag around the exhaust, although none of your posts have gone in vain, I have learned a lot, this car is definiteley a different beast from my '95 civic coupe. Now if I can only start collecting money from the bastard who stole it.