S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Building a better F20C...

Old 12-01-2001, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Shamu
...I'm a strong believer that this car was never meant for FI...
I don't want to start flames either...but I gotta say one thing about this. Although it's a true statement, it bothers me to read it. The Civic/CRX/Integra/Neon/Focus/Celica/NSX/etc/etc were all never designed for FI. But they've successfully done it to each and every one of these cars, and many many many more...successfully....even safely.

The Celica and Integra both have high compression engines. Compression can be lowered if need be, so this isn't really an issue. So the logic "it wasn't designed for this" just can't be used to argue the validity of FI. On a parallel note, do you think they ever designed the Focus to be a rally car?
Old 12-02-2001, 01:06 AM

Hey Wes -- thanks for your input. I too am not flaming, and here are my thoughts.

I just think that one of the S2K's 'strong' points is its relatively high comp. engine for a prod'n car. Personally, if I intended to run FI, I would've started with a car that had that in mind since day 1 -- such as the WRX or RX-7.

I don't know if Ford always intended the Focus to be a rally car -- maybe, maybe not. I don't even know if the Focus Rally is a Ford creation or if it's an aftermkt. team's creation.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:50 PM

I agree. If I was starting from scratch and wanted to make a crazy HP FI car, I'd buy a Supra. But I don't think people like us buy cars simply for their build up potential. Having one of the best looking cars, which is decently rare, is a roadster, can out-handle most cars, and can drop them on a straight line...would just be the ultimate package. That's all, people want to add that last feature.

My interest is to AutoX, Track, and 1/4 mile/drag the car...because I think all of them are fun. Why should I have to settle with only doing two of the three? (rhetorical question) If I can find a way to turn my car into a rally car I'll do that too.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Shamu
Personally, I would go with a bore/stroke kit to bump the displacement to 2.2
Just for the sake of discussion, is such a kit available, and what benefits would it alone provide? I've been dreaming of an S2200 since the car's inception, and I feel it's a natural progression, and probably in the future.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 12-02-2001, 06:08 PM

I *think* Mugen developed a stroke kit -- hence their S2200. But I don't know why they're not offering it to the general market -- you need to ask King Motorsports about that.

Someone on the board (mdigrappa) also developed a kit. I talked to him about it and it looks very very promising, although there's a long (approx. 13 weeks) wait for all the parts (crank, pistons, rods etc.). PM him about it if you're interested.

I believe the s2ki.com community has more than enough technical know-how and ability to produce one of these things -- any takers? How 'bout one of our sponsors?
Old 12-02-2001, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by S2Kguy
...is such a kit available...
Someone on the board was working on a stroker kit. From what I understand (heard), boring is not an option with our car due to extremely thin walls already (I think that was the reason).
Old 12-02-2001, 09:25 PM

Hey Wes,

I've seen pics of the cylinder walls and I really don't think there is any room at all to bore, as you stated. Bulletproof Automotive will be releasing a 2.4l stroker kit, but get your wallet ready, new cranks are expensive!

I'd like to see what an F20C with some headwork, a set of aggressive cams, and some individual throttle bodies would be like. Could be very sweet indeed.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all of you who think that high compression and forced induction don't mix:

http://www.hotrod.com/editorial/article.jsp?id=22838

11.2:1 static compression
27 psi with an Eaton M62 blower

Any questions?
Old 12-03-2001, 07:51 AM
Ray

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B][b]For all of you who think that high compression and forced induction don't mix:

http://www.hotrod.com/editorial/article.jsp?id=22838

11.2:1 static compression
27 psi with an Eaton M62 blower
Old 12-03-2001, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raise the flag if you like. Unless he had a vacuum pump in it, I witnessed in excess of 25psi on the gauge. I also felt 4th gear rip the tires loose. If he's lying, it's about the CR, not about the power or the boost. I was in it and I can tell you the car IS for real. So's Larry.

Quick Reply: Building a better F20C...