S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Building a better F20C...

Old 12-01-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a better F20C...

I'm not an engine builder or re-builder for that matter, but if I were I'd probably search for a used S2K engine to rebuild...my way. As bad-ass as the F20C is it still had to conform to things to exist. The manufacturing process, space and time limitations, budget, smog ratings. What if we could make it better by ignoring all those things? Is it possible? I think so. Kind of like The Six Million Dollar Man (most of you peeps are too young to remember this...lol)..."We can rebuild him, we can make him better, stronger, faster".

What would it take to give this engine a 12K redline and more oomph? Could this be done with simple internal swaps? How about more aggressive cams? Header for sure...

Could we make it better and more powerful without forced induction?
Old 12-01-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't there a B16x Spoon Civic engine that runs to 11k rpm?

even if the RPM's are up there, it doesn't mean anything if the power isn't there.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:46 PM

even if the RPM's are up there, it doesn't mean anything if the power isn't there.
Increasing RPMs will increase power.

Kaptain Insano
Old 12-01-2001, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not necessarily. that is why there is such a thing called a torque curve. you get to a certain point and there will be a drop off or even worse a significant drop off.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:00 PM

The 12K number wasn't magic, it was just a number. Lets round if off to 10K and give it iVTEC and replace some internals, could we make it significantly more powerful?
Old 12-01-2001, 01:07 PM

I would be all for my S2000 redlining at 12K! If this needs to be explored some more I am down for putting my 2 cents worth - just need some knowledge from the Jedi's of this board:

Mingster?
cdelena?
gregstevens?
Old 12-01-2001, 01:11 PM

not necessarily. that is why there is such a thing called a torque curve. you get to a certain point and there will be a drop off or even worse a significant drop off.
Agreed. You probably would want to increase displacement to prevent a drop off at righer RPMs.

Kaptain Insano
Old 12-01-2001, 02:40 PM

For what its worth, this car originally had a 10K redline (had a pic once, but lost it with my old HD), but it made no power whatsoever above 9K (rumor), so the 9K redline and 9,200 fuel cut was instated. Several ECU's bump the limit, but none provide HP up there.

Andrew
Old 12-01-2001, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any engine has to breath at all RPMs and the cams/valves are a big part of that, you gotta be able to controle the valves - F1 engines have pneumatic valve controle and short strokes to withstand High internal forces at 18-19000 RPM

the stroke is long in the F20c for such a high RPM engine - best way to make alot of power with out FI is to open up the cams for 9000 RPM and do away with the drivability and smooth power curve and also get rid of the LEV status, otherwise you wont get much more power out of 2 liters NA and still be a daily driver that breaths clean . . .

For clean smooth power NA, yes you do need, umm well, displacement . . .

If you want a project and a great motor, go for the Titanuim rods, lightened crank, balanced engine, light flywheel/clutch assy. and re work the head and custom tune the intake man. and headers, new ECU hmmm that sounds like about 6000- 10,000 bucks for something in the range of 300-320 FWHP, or just go with a turbo and get 400 FWHP for 6 grand . . .

Thats (F)ly(W)heel HP
Old 12-01-2001, 05:43 PM

Engine work on the F20C is possible -- Spoon's done it and their work is just the 'basics'.

Personally, I would go with a bore/stroke kit to bump the displacement to 2.2, and increase the compression to about 12-12.5 (we can get 94 oct. pump gas in Vancouver! ). Internals for this kind of project are available -- it just depends on how much money you're willing to spend. However, the price tags I've heard thus far are not outrageous considering what you're getting.

I'm not really into the turbo route given that I'm a strong believer that this car was never meant for FI. Our compression is pretty high, and the whole concept of this car is a high-compression, high-revving NA engine...not a flame, just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Building a better F20C...