S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers....

Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The collar at the bottom serves as a lock nut to keep the shock body and fork locked. If you lower with the spring perch (top two collars) then you are reducing the available compression stroke (ie you bottom out easier). To lower w/o changing the sag/preload (where the static car sits in the stroke range), you want to loosen the bottom collar and screw the fork assembly further on to the shock body. Don't forget to retighten the bottom collar (lock nut) when you're done.
The loud BANG could be from bottoming, but in any case, can't be good no matter what's causing it
Have fun!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT,Sep 14 2005, 08:50 PM
The loud BANG could be from bottoming, but in any case, can't be good no matter what's causing it
or it could be from a blown shock. yes, i speak from experience...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 AM

If they're installed like Jasonoff's pic, then they're installed correctly.

As mentioned already, adjusting the top perch changes the spring compression - not what you want to do for ride height. Adjust the bottom perch for ride height.

I had some clunking when I first installed my BC's. Not sure what was causing it, but as soon as I added a rear STB, the clunking went away.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=toosteeley,Sep 15 2005, 07:12 AM] If they're installed like Jasonoff's pic, then they're installed correctly.

As mentioned already, adjusting the top perch changes the spring compression - not what you want to do for ride height.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 AM

I'm not talking about the collars, I'm talking about the perches.

The top perch I'm talking about, includes the top two collars. The top one which the spring sits on, and the bottom one that acts as a "lock". Don't use those for hieght adjustment. They're for spring tension.

To adjust the height you back off the very bottom collar and screw the whole tube into the bottom fork. Once you've got the hieght you want, teighten the bottom collar back down to the top of the fork to "lock" it in place.

I had no problems in the front with clunking - only the rear. In either case, an STB should help.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by toosteeley,Sep 15 2005, 09:01 AM
I'm not talking about the collars, I'm talking about the perches.

The top perch I'm talking about, includes the top two collars. The top one which the spring sits on, and the bottom one that acts as a "lock". Don't use those for hieght adjustment. They're for spring tension.

To adjust the height you back off the very bottom collar and screw the whole tube into the bottom fork. Once you've got the hieght you want, teighten the bottom collar back down to the top of the fork to "lock" it in place.

I had no problems in the front with clunking - only the rear. In either case, an STB should help.
I see now. That makes more sense to me when explained that way. I called them collars (the red ring things ) but I guess they are known as perches. My apologies as I am not too much of a suspension guy.

What type of STB did you go with?

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated toosteeley.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

... of the three rings in the picture only the one in contact w/ the spring is a perch (spring perch), the other two are serving as locking rings (or collars). They may all be the exact same part but the correct nomenclature is derived by how they are being used.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM

NP.

BTW, the best way to set up the springs is to tighten the top collar (the one the springs sit on) to the point where you can just barly turn the spring. This will guarentee the springs have max travel.

I personally went with Cusco front, and Alex rear STB's - only cause they're blue

By stiffening the top hats of the CO's with the STB, a lot of the clunking went away.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RT,Sep 15 2005, 12:56 PM
... of the three rings in the picture only the one in contact w/ the spring is a perch (spring perch), the other two are serving as locking rings (or collars). They may all be the exact same part but the correct nomenclature is derived by how they are being used.

I wasn' explaining myself very well
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=toosteeley,Sep 15 2005, 09:59 AM] NP.

BTW, the best way to set up the springs is to tighten the top collar (the one the springs sit on) to the point where you can just barly turn the spring.

Quick Reply: Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers....