S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bucking / Stumbling / Bogging - 1st gear solved?

Old 11-23-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22,Nov 23 2006, 06:22 PM
maybe something to do with the DBW system
Thats what my next guess was. Or MAP sensor problem??
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I have been experiencing the same problem in my S. In fact I was about ot start a new thread about the problem, until I saw this post.
I experience this problem at random points during my drive, only in first gear.
There are times when I am trying to park or navigate a tight parking lot in 1st gear, and the car never gives me grief. But then suddenly, the car will begin to bog and jerk around like I don't know how to drive stick.
The car takes-on a completely different characteristic. One minute it's normal an responsive to my inputs, the next minute it seems to almost stall-out, and needs extra gas in order to run smoothly.

Also...and this may give additional clues... my car sometimes drops it's RPMs to 500- and "bog" when just standing. It's only for a minute, and the computer saves the car from stalling.
Sometimes it does this right when I start it, and sometimes when I've been driving for a while and I stop at a light.

PS - I live in the NE and it's been extremely warm lately... however temps. have not been above 60 degrees. Most mornings are 40 or less. Therefore I think heatsoak can't possibly be the reason.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM

I live in fl and i have felt heat soak on my 02, also a few times i have also experienced 'The Buck'. And i am convinced they are different. When It happens I usually get off the gas and neutral up wait a few seconds and it goes away IMHO it is an ECU issue, but I am no mechanic. I don't believe that is is as simple as heat soak
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem and it has nothing to do with heat soak since it can happen just after the car is started on a cold winter day.

I think it is excessive driveline lash. Too much play and once the rhythym starts the only way to break the cycle is to push in the clutch or hit the brakes.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM

I have the same issue. Its so wierd. Most of the time its fine but sometimes you'd swear I only have half the engine working.

Like it starts up and then feels like there is almost no power until I get to around 4k then its normal. Also have the same thing happen about it bucking and jerking when I'm trolling around a pking lot. Doesn't happen all the time. Although it is more likely to happen when its cold than warm
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I occasionally will experience a "bog" off the line in 1st gear. The common thread in my experience has been trying to finesse the throttle and start off at 2000-2500 RPM (you know, GF in car, cop behind you etc). At the next standing start if I rev it to 3000 - 3500 RPM and ease up the clutch, it's all good. The F22 seems to like steady throttle, no WOT, until about 4000 RPM IMO. It really does like to rev being a relatively low torque motor.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

mister x: Just to make things clear, it occurs when I am feathering the throttle not flooring it, simply trying to move from one traffic light to another. It seems that however I finesse the throttle, it bucks regardless.

dthondatune:
Lookin4as2k: welcome to the club guys. How many miles do you have on your S?

Wildncrazy: can you please elaborate on "excessive driveline lash".
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you adjusted your throttle cable linkage (or checked it) yet?
Have you changed your air filter yet?
Have you considered bad fuel?
Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By excessive driveline lash I mean that there is much more play in the driveline of my S than of any other car I've ever owned.

Whether it is rear end, tranny or what, when the car is stopped I can turn the driveshaft by hand a significant distance. I am used to an 1/8" or so of lash but on my S I can turn it almost 1/2"
Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 AM

I have the same problem with my car. I will be driving down the street, and pull up to a red light. As the light turns green, I ease off the clutch and apply throttle. The car will bog like there is no gas, and then I will do the bunny hop. When this happens, I step on the clutch and rev it a bit before releasing the clutch and all is good again.
This happens in the day, and at night. Has happened on a near empty tank, and full tank.

To add more info to this, the throttle cable is nice and tight. I have a K&N air filter with maybe 3000 miles on it. Car has 60K miles.
Only mods are A/S suspension mods, and an Amuse R1 exhaust.

I changed the plugs and one of the plugs was loose, all 4 showed a lean condition. I also have the horrible random misfire code, and misfire code in all 4 cylinders.

On some days, the car feels way faster than it is 90% of the time. I think the random misfire in the engine has something to do with the bunny hop start.

Quick Reply: Bucking / Stumbling / Bogging - 1st gear solved?