S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bubbles in cooling system and temp guage spiking

Old 01-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have metal head gaskets? Blown or whatever it is, they say it has a very small leak, is that different from being blown?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it leaks at all, it is blown in terms of not functioning properly and needing repair. That issue has already been settled.

Make sure they check the block deck for trueness, as well as the head itself for any warpage - as Slows2K said. If there ever has been a serious overheating situation with the car, one or both of those could be out of whack, and the gasket repair will only be temporary. Very rarely, aluminum can have porosity leakage.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The F20C and F22C have laminated stainless steel head gaskets. They very rarly "blow" or leak, under normal use. (not turbocharged/supercharged, N2O) You really have to run the engine hot for a long while to cause cylinder pressure to enter the cooling system. (I have seen Accords ran so hot the timing covers melt, but the heat gasket doesn't leak) Usually, the head or deck of the block warps, and the gasket can't maintain a seal between the out of parallel surfaces. The other thing to check is for cracks in the head, and bores. After the head is removed a competent machine shop can Zyglow inspect an aluminium head for cracks. Numerous manufactures have had problems with cracking cylinder heads. 2.8L Fords, 3.2L Isuzus, have had problems with cracking. Did you drive the car for an extended period of time with it running hot?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned

They pull it apart tomorrow for the real inspection, they just ran some test that said a pistion was moist and pressure is leaking. Ill post updates tomorrow with news that they give me.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Hey Kyushin

been following your thread, I'm glad they found it. Maybe now we'll see each other on the street.

fltsfshr
Old 02-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

Progress has been made, they have pulled the block apart, they are sending the head to a machiene shop for inspection and repairs and the head gasket also was leaking. I should have it back by tues or wed
Old 02-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Banned

Not sure if its all the way, but he said they are taking the head off and having it inspected by a machiene shop and fixed as necessary. Should i still make this request?
Old 02-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

It depends how far they actually have it torn down. If the engine is out of the car, and the crankshaft and rods are out of it, Checking the main journals for straightness is part of a full engine rebuild. I doubt your engine is that far disassembled. Most likely just the cylinder head is off, in which case line honing the mains is a whole bunch more work.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Ya, they are only taking the head off., what is case line honing the mains?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

To line hone the main beaing journals, the engine must be removed from the car and completely disassmbled. The block is placed in a fixture to hold it, and a hone is ran through all the main bearing caps, insuring they are round and inline with each other. I would wait untill they get the cylinder head back before jumping to any conclusions about further engine damage.

Quick Reply: Bubbles in cooling system and temp guage spiking